Tin Man

" If I only had a heart." -Tin Woodman, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

Tin Man

I watch him beside me, each breath he takes heavier than the one before. His eyes are fluttered closed and his pink lips quiver as if he's mouthing the words to his favorite song. The thought makes me smile.

I think back to the last three days of our time spent together, and my mind starts to whirl despite the quiet environment I'm lying in. All of the snorts from laughing so hard, all of the burns on my cheeks from my tears seering them. The hammering of my heart every time his hand would accidentally brush mine, and the hot, heavy breathing from both of us as we try to catch our breaths from running away. From who, it doesn't matter.

Because that's just who Oz Fenno is.

Nothing matters when it comes to being with him - just him and me and the fact that we're laughing, crying, loving, running. Never in my life have I thought that I'd be comfortable saying this, but I don't know how Oz thinks. I don't know how his feelings match his heart, nor how his words hinder his thoughts... and that's okay.

During my time with him, I've come to realize something: Some people aren't meant to be understood. And Oz just happens to be one of them.

"If I only had a heart," he told me, once upon a time.

I smile. His breaths only deepen. "'A heart is not judged by how much you love," I whisper into the night, "but by how much you are loved by others.'"

I wait two beats.

"And I love you."

And with that, I slide out from beneath the covers and shimmy my shorts back on. As I make my way towards the door, a voice stops me in my place. "I thought you didn't like that book," he murmurs into the dark, and when I turn back to look at him, I see that the moon has illuminated the side of his face through the window.

"I thought you didn't sleep."

His lips twitch. "I don't." We stare at each other for four-Mississippi's. "I dream."

I swallow whatever had formed in my throat as I ask, "Of what?"

"Home."

And then he falls asleep.