The Reason

The Reason

I met you for a reason.

    There's a reason we ran into each other - there's no such thing as coincidence. There's a reason I had a craving for coffee that morning. There's a reason I didn't hit the snooze button like usual when it went off. There's a reason I forgot my keys on the kitchen counter. There's a reason I wasn't in a rush when I walked across the street to the local coffee shop. There's a reason the light turned green when I was in the middle of the road. There's a reason you happened to be right there to save me when it did.

    There's a reason we didn't both become road-kill. There's a reason why I became speechless when we locked eyes, and there's a reason why you played it off as no big deal. There's a reason why you asked me to join you for a cup of coffee. There's a reason I said yes.

        There's a reason why I offered to buy both of our drinks, and there's a reason why you declined. There's a reason why you offered for us to sit at a table by a window, and then told me how it was your favorite seat. There's a reason why you shared a joke with me. There's a reason why I laughed. There's a reason why we had a conversation that I've never had since what seemed like forever, and there's a reason why I explained this to you.

        There's a reason why we shared our pasts. There's a reason we evaluated each other's dreams. There's a reason your phone buzzed in the midst of our conversation. There's a reason why we exchanged numbers.

        There's a reason I didn't realize I never got your name until I programmed your number into my phone, and there's a reason why I smiled at the fact. There's a reason why I noticed how your outstretched hand was warm when I took it as you introduced yourself as Tim. There's a reason why I felt a heavy weight drop onto my shoulders when I heard you.

        There's a reason why my voice wavered when I announced my name, and there's a reason why you frowned but nodded. There's a reason why I never felt more thankful to you than then for accepting that the time wasn't right.

        There's a reason why you were on my mind the rest of the day. There's a reason why my heart jumped when your name popped up on my phone's screen that same night, but felt my mouth drop to a frown. There's a reason why I edited your name to Timothy. There's a reason why I didn't mind talking to you throughout the night.

    There's a reason why we set up another coffee date at the same place that weekend. There's a reason why there was a flood watch that same day. There's a reason why my eyes slowly grew bags underneath them from staying up into the late hours on the phone, and there's a reason why, for once, I didn't mind.

    There's a reason why I catch myself smiling when I'm brushing my teeth or watching television. There's a reason why I dismiss it for nothing. There's a reason why my usual dull brown eyes now have a certain spark to them. There's a reason why my mom now points out all these things to me.

    There's a reason why I confessed to you about the reasoning behind your name, and there's a reason why I felt safe when you talked to me afterwards. There's a reason why you told me you would hit my dad for me, and there's a reason why I thanked you, but declined. There's a reason why you accepted this. There's a reason why my respect for you increased.

    There's a reason I haven't felt alone ever since the day you saved me. There's a reason why I've felt happier. There's a reason why I enjoy every day more than the last now, and there's a reason why I edited your name again to Miracle Boy.

    There's a reason why you told me about your depression issues. There's a reason why I never felt so helpless before. There's a reason why I begged you to stay, and there's a reason why you said okay. There's a reason why I was cautious around you for weeks after, and there's a reason why I cry sometimes at night at the memory of you telling me not to blame myself if you do decide to leave this world.

    There's a reason why you told me I was the reason you were still here.

    There's a reason why my heart stopped when you told me about the girl you liked. There's a reason why I texted back like I was the happiest person in the world and encouraged you to ask her out. There's a reason I lied. There's a reason you trust me so much. There's a reason you told me all about your date with her, and how you had your first kiss. There's a reason I felt sick after reading that.

    There's a reason why I frowned on my birthday the next day. There's a reason why I looked down wearily at my phone and wondered if you'd ever text me. There's a reason why I made up excuses for my feelings. There's a reason why I denied my jealousy. There's a reason why our visits to the coffee place slowly became once every other week, and there's a reason why I could barely look you in the eyes when we did.

    There's a reason I didn't like your girlfriend. There's a reason why I didn't trust her. There's a reason why I wasn't surprised when she dumped you, and there's a reason why I never changed your name on my phone. There's a reason why you were still my miracle boy, despite the pain you had put me through.

    There's a reason why I helped you with your newfound depression. There's a reason why I never gave up on trying to make you smile. There's a reason why I finally downloaded Skype on my slow-ass laptop, and there's a reason why I called your phone instead of texted you that night when you began to talk about suicide again.

    There's a reason why you picked up. There's a reason why I stayed on the phone with you while I got in my car in the pouring rain that night, and there's a reason my voice stayed miraculously level. There's a reason you gave me your address when I asked for it. There's a reason why I knew exactly where your bedroom window was when I pulled up in front of your house.

    There's a reason I climbed that bush to your window. There's a reason why it slid wide open without hesitation when I pushed. There's a reason why I felt so relieved when I saw you lying down on your bed. There's a reason why I didn't hang up my phone until I was lying next to you, hugging your side.

    There's a reason why you hugged me back. There's a reason you burst into tears. There's a reason you didn't mind me seeing this side of you - your monster - and there's a reason I only let a few tears slide down my cheeks. There's a reason I knew I had to stay strong for you. There's a reason why your mom cracked your door open, and when we locked eyes, she only nodded. There's a reason I knew that meant thank you.

    There's a reason we fell asleep in each other’s arms. There's a reason I woke up to your sad, smiling face. There's a reason why you held out your hand and led me out the door to your car. There's a reason why I didn't question you for a second as I buckled my seatbelt. There's a reason why I wasn't surprised when you parked in front of our coffee hut. There's a reason why we didn't say a word to each other when we sat down with our usuals.

    There's a reason why my voice was so quiet and raspy when I asked how you were feeling. There's a reason why you smiled - a smile that took my breath away - and looked me in the eyes and told me you were never better. There's a reason why I felt like the luckiest girl in the world to have my miracle boy back.

    There's a reason why I'm writing this right now to no one in particular. There's a reason why I'm not even questioning my decisions. There's a reason why when I got home, I realized there was a reason for everything.

    And it's all because I love you.

I had written this when I was foolishly in love with someone i had never met a full two years ago. I love you if you have read this, Miracle Boy, and I hope you're happy.