When You Fall In Love

There are ways to know whether or not you're in love.

Quizzes, horoscopes, psychics, books to help you "find yourself," meditation.

And then when you experience it personally - love, that is - you just know.

You fall in love with everything about that person - the pen marks on the palm of their hand; the sliver of a dimple on their right cheek but not on their left; the freckle on their nose that disillusions you, playing a convincing role as a piercing.... And the things that you can't believe actually entices you about them - the way they itch the back of their head when they don't know what to say; how they stutter when they're nervous, or speaking too fast about the things they adore; when they check their wrist to see the time but then remember with a lopsided chuckle that they forgot their watch on the bedside table that morning.

But when you question whether or not you're in love - then you're not. It's not right, not meant to be. You will leave, or they will, and you will remember them, but not with the crooked knife in your chest that would indefinitely be there if you were truly in love. Instead you'd walk on, continue with your life, and possibly find the person that makes you fall in love with even the worry lines on their forehead or the way they say "sorry" after they yawn.

There are ways to know whether or not you're in love.

It is too bad that neither of our characters knew what it was like to feel this sensation, or else.... well, you'll see.