Chapter Eight

Brittani and Eric were back in his room alone, and away from her attackers

Brittani and Eric were back in his room alone, and away from her attackers. She was still unsettled by what happened earlier and especially after seeing one of her friends trying to kill her. Brittani didn't really feel quite comfortable in Eric's room either. Considering she never been here before and they were just starting to be more talkative to each other.

"Are you okay?" Eric asks Brittani, concerned by her shaking body. Brittani didn't know how to answer, she was traumatized by almost being killed. So, she only sat down in the nearest chair trying to take deep breaths to calm herself down.
"Why would they try and do that to me?" Brittani finally spoke with her voice cracking in fear. Was she even safe being here?
"This competition gets ugly sometimes" Eric answered honestly. He didn't want to lie to Brittani knowing it's possible for it to happen again.
"What am I going to do? Do you think they'll try it again since they didn't succeed" Brittani was nearly in tears again, but Eric finally grew a heart and walked over to her in the chair. He kneeled down in front of her and gently took her hand.
"Not on my watch" he promised giving a small gentle kiss on her knuckles. "I have a private bathroom and some pajamas. You can freshen up and get some rest" Eric looked up at her watching her wipe away the tears from her cheeks. "You can have my bed, I'll sleep in the chair, okay?" He gently smiled at her, helping her get up from the chair and showing her all the things she needed.

***
Four and Syn were walking back to his room. She kept grumbling under breath; things like "stupid boys, and their stupid violence" and "they're so dead."
"That's not going to help you any" Four said as he led Syn in his room. "I know you may want to get revenge for what they tried doing to you, but it's best just to leave it."
Syn walked into the room, but stopped dead in her tracks and turned to Four.
"They tried to kill me and you want me to do nothing?" She argued, crossing her arms.
"Think about it, Syn. They know how you are. They might be expecting and they could pull a quick one on you. It's best for you to lay low. I can help you through the tests. You can't be around them." Four replied making Syn mind starting to turn, thinking that he might be right.
Syn just shrugged her shoulders "Sure" she smiled widely and just plopped down on Four's bed. "So soft" Syn laid back and spread out like an angel. "It's like I'm on a cloud" Syn just giggled, enjoying her comfortable moment.

All Syn's life she slept on grounds, boxes and anywhere that kept her safe and away from weather. Grass was pretty much the softest thing she remembered sleeping on since she's been on her own, and now a bed almost feels like she is sinking right into a large marshmallow.

Four only watched her. He was questionable about her this whole time, but he also enjoyed her mysterious being. He barely knew anything about her, and something tugged at him to know her more. Without thinking, Four walked over and sat down next to her on the bed. Syn shot up quickly and looked at him. They were only a few inches away, and neither one of them wanted to move, they actually quite liked being so close.

"Why are you helping me?" Syn blurted out. Four seemed only to care about getting her through the training, but she might be wrong. He might do this with all of his initiates, and that scared her the most.
"You want the truth or a lie?" Four teased at her, giving her a shy smile.
"I want to know the truth and only the truth. And then you might get the same" Syn admitted with a smirk plastered on her face. She honestly started feeling trust towards Four, and she didn't know if she could trust her own instincts or not.
"I'm intrigued by you, Syn. You impress me, you're different and crazy, and for some reason... I like that" Four gushed to Syn, locked deeply in Syn's eyes. And then Four began telling Syn his story, "I came from Abnegation. Dauntless was my escape from my father. The reason I told you everyone has something to hide is because I'm the biggest victim to that" Syn was amazed by the stories he began telling her, and now she truly knew she could trust him. And it was now her turn. She turned fully to him, her legs crisscrossed.

Syn inhaled deeply and slowly began, "I'm not from around here."
"I kinda guessed that" Four joked, giving her a big grin.
"No" she giggled "I mean, I didn't come from factions." Four started to get confused. On Four's side, he knew nothing of what was outside of the wall. He was told everything was destroyed from the war, and their people were the last surviving. But in reality, that was quite the opposite.
"Four, I came from the outside. I have no family, no home. I'm not what you consider factionless. I mean I came from a whole other place besides this" Syn finally started to elaborate, "My parents were brutally murdered when I was 6. After that I traveled the lands of the U.K. And eventually made it over here. I travelled until I found this place, and this wall. I was curious so I climbed up and came inside. Brittani was the one who found me, and she mistaken me for dauntless, but somehow I managed to keep my front up and stay undercover here. This is the first actual home I've had. I've seen bad things, Four. And this is one of the most interesting." Four didn't know how to take in such information. Life outside the wall? Was this girl crazy or was she being for real?

"But all everyone has every known was right inside here. Is there really life outside of here?" He asked, becoming more and more interested in Syn.
"I am living proof. Everything you've apparently been told, is a lie. Four, I'm real. this whole faction life. Everything in here is unreal to me. Like how I am probably unreal to you." Syn gently placed her hand on Four's. She was scared of his reaction and actually having some feelings, but she's telling him what he truly needs to know. "I'm from the other side."