Part 9

She opened the door and Jace was on the other side. He was dressed in black slacks with a white button up shirt and a leather jacket. His lips were parted and his eyes darkened with lust as he took her in. She had to clear her throat to get his attention.

"You look stunning." he said as he looked up into her eyes and she felt that fluttering in her stomach again.

"I realized I forgot to tell you where I lived. How did you find me?" she asked, a smile gracing her lips.

"Well, I am a detective. It's my job to know things. You would be amazed at what you can find in our computers. All you have to type in is someone's name." he said as he smirked at her.

"Really?" she asked in a disbelieving tone. "Alec told you didn't he?"

"Maybe." he said as he shrugged his shoulders and smirked at her.

When they got to the restaurant, Jace said it was his favorite place to eat because they had anything you could possibly want. Even food that most people would be grossed out by eating. You could order raw meat or even things that were still alive. She was concerned as to why someone would want either of those and the fact that it could possibly be legal to serve them. They sat at a more private table that was in the back where only a couple of people were around.

"So...what is good here?" Clary asked while examining the menu.

"Well, I always get a burger and sweet potato fries, but they make the best coconut pancakes that you have probably ever eaten. You have to try them." he said waving the waitress over.

"Nice to see you again Jace. What can I get you?" the waitress said. She was tall with long blonde straight hair and blue eyes. She had a ton of makeup on and a fake orange tan.

"Hey Kealie. Um...I would like my usual and my date here, would love to have coconut pancakes with honey." he said, not even looking at the waitress. His eyes were on Clary the whole time. Kealie huffed and walked off, stomping her heels as she walked.

"So Clary, tell me something about yourself." Jace said.

"Not much to tell, really. I go to school for art." she replied.

"You're an artist. Hmmm. Well, if you ever need a nude model, I would love to help. I have been told I have the body of a Greek God. People would come for miles to look at a nude painting of me, don't you think?" Jace said. He had slid his hand onto the table and started running his fingers over her hand that was resting on top of it.

"I will keep that in mind. But I fear I don't have a canvas big enough for your head or that ego of yours. Sorry." she said removing her hand from his and off the table.

"You're a bit of a spit-fire. I love that." he said with amusement in his eyes.

"I thought we came here to talk about Mrs. Santiago?" Clary said looking at him.

"Yes. But first, we should eat." he said as the waitress came back with their food. The pancakes smelled like heaven and when she took her first bite, she couldn't help but moan. The sound made Jace look up at her and laugh.

"I told you." he said with a smirk as he started to eat his own food.

"I think I'm in love." she said. When they were done eating, Clary sat back in her chair feeling very stuffed.

"Okay. Now that we have eaten, what can you tell me?" Clary asked. Jace brought out a folder from inside his jacket. He opened it and started to look at the file.

"Okay. She was home alone at the time of the murder. Her boss got worried when she didn't show up for work because she never took a day off without calling in the 20 years that she worked there so they sent a police car out for a well check. The police arrived and knocked on the door. No one answered so they looked through the windows and that's when they discovered her body in her bedroom." He paused and looked up at Clary. "Maybe we should stop there." he said.