Chapter Four

The door knocked.

"Come in," our school principal, Mr. Soto answered.

The door opened and Derrick and I walked into the office.

"Good morning, Mr. Soto," we said.

"Hello. Have a seat," he told us.

We sat in the two leather seats faced in front of Mr. Soto's desk.

"So I got a call from Mr. Ortega that you two were disrupting the class in the middle of work repeatedly."

"Repeatedly? It was only like two times," Derrick said.

"Hey!" I whispered to him and hit his arm.

He glared at me.

"Are you listening to me?" Mr. Soto said impatiently.

"Yes," we said apologetically.

"It seems that you two are constantly bickering at each other."

"He keeps on.."
"She was the one who.."
We both start to tell Mr. Soto about our side of the situation all at once, pointing fingers and calling names.

"Okay! That's enough!" He yelled. "I am going to schedule a volunteer job for you to work together on in order for you two to get along." Derrick and I froze in shock. "This school is about communication and getting along with others, NOT arguing about the most ridiculous things! Now. I have chosen an available job. It is at the Sunshine Field Daycare."

"What?!" Derrick and I both yelled.

"That's right, the Sunshine Field Daycare. You must arrive there after school every weekday and volunteer until 5:30 PM. Your responsibility is to help the teacher there by taking care of the kids. For instance, changing the babies' diapers, entertaining the little ones, prepare snacks, you know, the usual that happens at daycares. There are no exceptions. You must volunteer every single day until you both reach the amount of 100 community service hours individually. Remember to record your hours and keep track of them. Alright. Any questions?"

We gape at Mr. Soto, both sitting there in silence for what feels like eternity. Until Derrick breaks the silence.

"You're kidding us, right?" He chuckles nervously. "We actually have to take care of little kids every single week day of our high school lives?"

"Not for the rest of your high school years, no. Just until you reach 100 community service hours," Mr. Soto told him.

"Yeah no. That will take the rest of my life because I am not doing this."

"You have no choice, young man. Either do this or get suspended for a month."

"I honestly don't care. Suspended means no school, meaning I get to relax at home."

"Or I could just give you detention that lasts until 10 PM for the rest of the school year."

"Is that even legal to keep a student at school after hours?"

"Derrick, come on, really? You are seriously making a huge deal of taking care of little kids. You would actually rather get suspended than playing with an innocent, adorable kid?" I asked him.

"I just think it's stupid."

"You think kids are stupid?"

"Yeah pretty much."

"So you're calling yourself stupid."

"What? No I'm not."

"You were a kid once in your life."

"Stop trying to keep this conversation going so that you can try to convince me to even agree to this idea."

"You're just changing the subject to hide the fact that I am right! Ha!" I bragged.

"You know what? Fine. I'll do it. But just to make you shut the hell up for once. Damn, you talk so much for a girl like you."

"What's that supposed to mean?!"

"Okay! That's enough! Again. Before you two start bickering even more," Mr. Soto said. "Now. You two can start your service tomorrow after school. Hope you will enjoy taking care of those little munchkins!"

"Sure will," Derrick said rolling his eyes.

"Okay. That is all. You two can go back to class."

"Thank you!" I said to Mr. Soto.

Derrick and I stood up and walked towards the door.

"Ahem," I cleared my throat.

Derrick looked over at me, rolled his eyes and turned around to face Mr. Soto. "Thanks," he mumbled.

I patted his shoulder.

Man. I think I'm getting used to talking to him. I guess I'm growing up. I already feel myself changing. And. Oh. My. Gooshness. Two and a half hours every single weekday with THE Derrick Evans, who I have had a crush on for over 8 years? I think this is my dream come true. Well. I guess there's still a part of me that's sort of obsessed with him....oh who am I kidding? I still love him so much.