New Beginnings

V.

One long month had passed. Dwanye and I were doing great. He was the real charmer. Camry and my mother loved him. They both said he is "irresistibly prefect." I had been spending the night at Dwayne's a lot. Our bond grew stronger and stronger everyday. I wouldn't call it love but it was something along those lines. We had a special connection that wasn't fading. Dwayne's family adored me and I adored them. His mother was the perfect sweetheart. His dad seemed to be a nice man although I hadn't talked to him much. Mama spent more time with Dwayne than any of the men in my past relationships. They went fishing, shopping, hunting, and even on movie dates. Mama said that he is the one.

I was just waking up when Dwayne brought my breakfast on a silver tray. It was my birthday! Dwayne treated me like a queen daily but I knew he'd make me feel extra special today.

"Goodmorning beautiful." He said smiling.

His smile always made me melt.

"Goodmorning." I said mimicking his smile.

My breakfast was a delectable. After I had eaten and showered Dwayne took me to the mall. I love to shop but only with Camry or my mother. Dwayne and I held hands as we walked around. I heard someone calling my name and as I turned around I saw Megan. I smiled as she walked up and hugged me. I didn't want Dwayne to see my hatered towards her.

"Hi!" She said smiling.

"Hello." I said dryly.

"Who's this hunk of a man?" She said looking at Dwayne.

"This is Dwayne. My boyfriend." I told her.

"Oh okay. You two look great together." she stated.

"So, are you here alone?" I asked.

"No. Antoine is here. He's ordering us something to eat." She said pointing towards the food court.

"It was good seeing you Megan." I said as I walked off.

I wasn't trying to see Antoine. I surely wasn't trying to talk to him. I was doing amazing with Dwayne. I didn't need any interruptions or distractions. Dwayne didn't ask me about Megan while were at the mall. I was hoping he wouldn't ask at all.

Camry, Richard, Dwayne, and I all went out to eat later that night. We all sat around the table laughing and talking. I noticed the way Camry kept looking at Richard. Her look matched my feelings for Dwayne. I was happy for her. Camry needed someone stable in her life. As we talked I heard a familiar voice. My heart sunk when I saw Antoine walked through the door. Why in the hell was he here? Flashbacks of when we first saw each other again ran through my head. My heart felt as if it was going to leap out my chest. I was boiling with rage. I glared at Camry and Richard. I wish either of them would call him to our table. Dwayne noticed no one was paying attention to him anymore.

"I'm talking here." He said snapping his fingers.

"We're sorry bae, continue." I said smiling.

Antoine and Megan walked towards our table. If this big mouth bitch came over here I would lose it. She always had something to say! Antoine didn't notice us but she did.

"Oh my gosh! Hey y'all!" She said smiling.

I put my head in my hands. I wanted to die at the moment. Camry kicked me under the table. I knew she was telling me not to let him get under my skin. Running seemed like the only reasonable thing to do. I stood up and walked past Megan and Antoine. Antoine didn't say anything. He had an evil smirk on his face. I could've slapped the shit out of him but I resisted. I didn't tell Dwayne to come on because I knew he would follow. I was half way to the car when I realized I wasn't driving. Dwayne was taking his precious time walking to the car. When he walked up to me he gave me a hug. I wasn't sure what for but it felt good to be wrapped in his arms. I hoped they hadn't told him who Antoine was. I wasn't ready to reveal my past. He released me and opened my car door. We drove back to his house in silence. He turned off the car and neither of us moved.

"What was that about?" He asked.

"What are you talking about?" I said

"At the restaurant when those people came, you bolted." He said.

"It had nothing to do with them. I was feeling nauseous." I lied.

Dwayne kissed my forehead and came around to my side to open the door.

"You don't have to lie to me Katherine. You past doesn't concern me. If you don't want to tell me that's fine. Just don't let your past hender your future." He said.

Why was he always right? Why was everything he said true? I wanted to tell him the truth but it wasn't easy. After I had showered Dwayne was in his office. The door was closed so I didn't distrub him. I laid down and put in a movie. I wasn't really paying attention to the movie. I fell asleep as my thoughts drifted.

When Dwayne came to bed I woke up. I glanced at the clock, it was 4:30 in the morning. I was kind of mad at him. I wasn't even sure why though.

"Let's talk." He said.

"About what?" I asked.

"You. Your feelings. Everything." He said.

"What's understood doesn't have to be explained Dwayne. You're a smart guy. I'm pretty sure you have me all figured out." I muttered.

"So, we won't talk tonight. Sooner than later you'll get tired of lying to me and yourself. You're in denial about your past." He said.

I knew Dwayne was right but I didn't want to talk about it. Not at the moment. I didn't respond. We just looked in each others eyes. A tear ran down my cheek. Dwayne pulled me close and more tears began to fall. I wasn't sure why I was crying.

"I love you Katherine." He whispered.

I was shocked at his words. They made me tremble. It had only been a month since we met but somehow I knew his words were genuine.

"I love you too Dwayne." I mumbled.

We laid holding each other. I felt safe wrapped in his arms. I knew he would never hurt me. I trusted him and he trusted me. My past doesn't matter to me. I was focusing on my new beginning with Dwayne.