Smoke to Fire

VIII.

I'd been in and out of 5 different abortion clinics. Every times I went I left in tears. I couldn't go through with it but I wanted to get rid of this burden. I was avoiding my mother and Dwayne. I haven't spoken to Dwayne since I left his house last week. He had called and texted me plenty of times I just ignored him. I didn't know what to say to him. I was too embarrassed. My mother had called and asked me to come by. I would tell her that I was tied up with work and other lies.

I was on my normal Saturday morning run. It was a beautiful day. The the park seemed so serene and peaceful. I forgot all of my troubles as the cool breeze consumed me. I stopped at a bench to tie my shoe and I saw Megan running in my direction; just as I began to think my day was going to be normal.

"I didn't expect to see you here." She said as she stopped.

"Go figure." I said, winded.

"Someone is a little bitchy today." She remarked.

"What the fuck do you want? You could've kept running, you know." I said.

She smiled and rubbed my stomach.

"I want you to abort his baby. If you don't you will be sorry." She said

I felt the rage seeping through my pores as if I was a volcano about to explode.

"Bitch, I'm not pregnant! What you need to do is tell your man to stay out of my life. And bitch I won't be sorry for shit. You WILL be sorry if you fuck with me!" I yelled.

"You don't want this problem. So next time you go to an abortion clinic don't leave until the baby is gone!" She responded.

"I'm not scared of you Megan. I really don't know who the fuck you think you are. I'm going to keep my child. Fuck you and Antoine. Have a nice life." I said as I walked away.

I put my earbuds in and continued to run. Megan had me fucked all the way up! I may be classy and well behaved but I can handle myself. She's never came at me side ways before; not even after Antoine claimed he told her everything. I hope she didn't mention what she knew to Antoine. I didn't want him to know for sure. I wanted to slap that bitch but I can't drop to her level. I wonder how she knew about my trips to the clinic. She must've been stalking me. That's probably how she knew I would be running here. If she wanted to play with fire I would do the same.

After I showered and dressed I went to work. I hadn't been in 2 weeks. I'm sure my clients were highly pissed. When I arrived it was sort of empty. Only one of my clients was in the lobby. She embraced me as she walked towards my station. Paige was a loyal client and a decent friend. We didn't talk much but she only let my hands in her hair.

"Damn girl you getting thicker than a snicker." She said looking at my enlarged breast and hips.

"Girl I'm the same size I've always been." I said trying to avoid the conversation.

"Whatever you say. Please just fix my hair." She said pulling off the cap she had on.

"Damn." I said.

Paige's hair was tangled and dry. I knew I would spend all day trying to revive her hair. As I attempted to comb through her hair Paige talked about work and her family. Paige had two beautiful twin girls and a wonderful husband. I thought about the child inside of me. My father died when I was 13. It had to be the most horrifying year of my life. My mother never struggled but I missed the steady guidance of my father. I didn't want to raise the child on my own. I wanted to have a happy family like Paige. I wanted my son or daughter to have a mother and father. I especially didn't want my child to be left with out because of my careless mistake. I was so distracted by my thoughts I had tuned out Paige. She didn't notice I wasn't listening. After I washed and conditioned her hair she went to sit under the dryer. I went to the break room to sit down. Just as I sat down Holly, the receptionist, called me to the foyer.