Chapter Nine - An Unpleasant Dinner

Hello guys.

I'm back.

About a million months later.

I'm really sorry about that. I've been working on other things and quite frankly - I haven't had time. Don't worry, I'll certainly suffer the consequences. My reads on the last chapter dropped dramatically - I can't fathom what they'll be like in this one. But, never the less, I shall forge on. Writing is for me and as great as it is to have readers who love it, as long as I can eventually complete this I'll be happy, no matter how many reads.
The song appears to be 'Warrior' by Aurora. A bit of a throwback for me - it's been a while since I've heard it. Anyway, on with the story.

---
They had arrived. Nesta looked around her, mapping out the scene. Looking for escape routes, nooks and crannies. The King grunted, cocking his head toward the palace. Nesta was hesitant as she leaped off the horse. Dorian freed her hands along with Lucien and Tamlin's, but he pinned his ice-cold glare at them, daring them to take a step out of line.

   "I can't believe this," Tamlin muttered to Lucien. His long red hair was tied back, honing his handsome features.

   "Shut up you two," Nesta snapped, though in a whisper. "You'll get to see the others."

   "And that's a good thing? Rhys is dead to me. His court is a nightmare," grunted Tamlin.

   "You're lucky. Without these royals here, Rhys would kill you at the first whiff of your scent. I wouldn't be surprised if he pushes the residents of this land out of the way just to get his hands on your throat," Nesta scoffed.

   "No one will be harming anyone. In these walls, you are all under the protection of Queen Aelin Ashryver Galathynius," Dorian snapped, ordering them along behind him.

   "You can't understand the horrors we faced back at home, prince," Tamlin spat. "This  beautiful world of yours - it's a child. Innocent and protected."

  With that, the High Lord was greeted by a sword, a glistening lethal weapon with incredibly fine, sharp edges. Ice crawled up his arm, freezing it in its place.

   "Are you blind?" Dorian asked, a heated edge to his tone. "Did you not see the shambles Adarlan has been left in? Did you turn a blind eye to the homeless orphans? Or the decimated buildings? Abandoned roads? This world has been devastated and suffered a great loss, time after time again. My kingdom was torn away from me and I had to use all my willpower and strength to crawl back to the top. What you see is the aftermath of war. Do not speak to me as if I am inexperienced. I may not live for centuries, but all that means is that my despair is compacted into a shorter amount of time. Do not speak to me as if you know what it is to be a leader, lose your position through blatant unfairness and suffer with the weight of the innocent's lives on your shoulders. From what I've heard, you are scum. You are crazy - insane. A man with no respect."

   Even the wind, mother nature herself, fell silent. No birds dare chirped, no leaves dared move. Everyone was as still as frightened cat. Tamlin felt a throbbing urge to respond, but what little common sense he had left yelled at him not to.

   "We shall be arriving at the palace shortly. I beg you to remain respectful and preferably, not open your mouth. Do not utter any words. Anything you say can be held against your cause." Dorian clicked his fingers, releasing Tamlin. Chaol rushed to his side, sword at hand.

"The palace is a short walk down this path. You will not look at the residents of Terrasen, you will not engage in communication with them," Chaol ordered, hauling them along like slaves.

"Yes, sir," they muttered in a muffled unison.

The track to the palace was short but stunning. Bright daisies and lilies stood proud and the green bushes were clipped into perfect spheres. Nesta felt the urge to run along them, trailing her fingers behind like a child. But she knew she had to contain herself. This was serious business, she is no longer a young child, yet she will never appear any older than a young adult.