Chapter Four

Kate's Pov

For the rest of the week, when he finished school Rick showed me his work, so I knew where I needed to be for when I arrived there. I wasn't ready, still finding it hard to talk to people in the house. I talked to Harry fairly often, as well as Floss. They knew not to touch me, but they were interesting, and liked it that I listened to them as most of the older kids just ignored them, thinking that they were rubbish.

When Monday morning came, I woke up at six in the morning, put my hair into plaits, and putting a hair band in, and put on my glasses and school uniform. It was around seven by the time I had finished, and I waited in the kitchen, nibbling on a slice of toast. I was nervous. I was the new kid, and I had no idea how that was going to go down.

" You okay Kate?"

I was broken out of my thoughts by Rick, who was lazily leaning against the side, eating a cereal bar. I nodded, swallowing the bits of toast in my mouth. I was tapping my foot nervously. I wasn't ready. When everyone else entered the kitchen, we were all sitting down, and most of them were talking.

" Rick, you will look out for Kate, won't you?" Mike asked Rick quietly, and I realised he more than likely didn't want me to hear, so I pretended that I hadn't.

" Of course."

We got into the mini bus, and we sat there in silence, as the others around us talked. Butterflies erupted in my stomach, leaving me the epitome of nervous energy. When we got out of the car, Mike gave me an extra smile, and I tried to smile back.

" Kate, I am going to take you to your locker, and then the form base, before popping to mine, is that okay?"

" Thank you." I whispered.

" No problem."

I placed everything that I didn't need in my locker, as the teachers had sent my time table home with Rick. I was still finding it hard to think of the Dumping Ground, as everyone told me it was refered to, as home.

Rick motioned for me to follow him to the form base, and I payed attention, nothing where everything was. We walked into the classroom, and he smiled before leaving.

" You're so small." Someone whispered near me, making me jump.

" Er...."

" She is isn't she." Someone else said.

Before I knew it, I was surrounded by at least ten people, who were all throwing questions at me. My heart raced with panic, as the room started spinning, all the shouts echoing in my ears. 

Rick's Pov

I wasn't sure about leaving Kate alone, but I needed to go to my locker, and it couldn't take me less than five minutes, and what was going to happen in that time. Some of my mates were there waiting for me, and I realised I had been there fifteen minutes already, and I really needed to get to the form base.

" Come on then Rick." My mate Martin said,

We walked into the classroom, and I couldn't see Kate anywhere. However most of the girls in the class were surrounding someone, who I just knew to be Kate. I had spoken with Martin and my other best friend Tony about her, and we all knew that this wouldn't go to well, if it was Kate.

Most of the girls suddenly moved back, and Kate was sat on the floor, with her head in her hands, and her knees pulled up to her chest. I knelt down beside her, pushing some of the girls out of the way. She couldn't miss  her first day of school, and with only fifteen minutes until the form teacher was due to arrive, it meant that I was going to need to make sure she was okay.