Julia Monte

Eric:

When I walked into school this morning and headed to the library, I was expecting to see Cora sitting there. I surprised myself when I felt myself get upset at the fact that she wasn't. Kara looked up from her homework as I sat down beside her and put my face down, not in the mood for conversation. Most people would think it ironic that I rode the bus while she drove, although I was older. I laughed to myself, thinking of how that would look to someone outside. And of course, Kara was the only one who drove and still got to school early. A trait that I knew I didn't posses.

"Well you look glum, Mr. Sunshine." I heard Kara say. "Hungover?"

"Maybe." I groaned, annoyed that that was the first thing she thought of. Now, she didn't have reason not to think that. She read the letters the private school sent back home. She knew as well as dad that i'd come into school with major headaches each morning. Wasn't my fault, past two years have been rough on me.

"I'm guessing you were expecting Cora to be here?" Shit, she was on to me. I raised my head and glared at her, causing her to laugh. "Awe, Eric gotta crush?" She clutched her chest, creating a supremely fake laugh. Immediately she stopped and gave me a serious look. "No, but for real. Are you crushing on Cora?"

"So what if I am?" I asked in an irritated tone. "It's not like I'm gonna go and try to fuck her and get another kid. Why won't you believe I've changed?" I crossed my arms and slumped back in my seat. I felt like a total three-year old, but in this moment I didn't care. All anyone has ever thought about me was that I was a player. I'm not a player.

Kara put her pencil down and clasped her hands, turning her whole body to face me. "Look," She seethed, "It is my responsibility as a best friend to make sure that she is safe no matter what. Excuse me, but I don't trust you as much as I used to. Get it? Great. Now make it stick asshole. Think about what you're about to say before you say it." She rolled her eyes and went back to her homework, tuning me out in the process.

I rolled my eyes and stood, stalking out of the library. Eventually, I made my way outside to a spot where no one was currently. Reaching into my pocket, I pulled out a packet of cigarettes and a lighter. I lit the stick up and stuck it in my mouth, looking up to see the dark of the night slowly turning to day.

Looking down, I saw a blonde who looked a bit too familiar. She was texting on a blue phone with a cup of coffee in her other hand. I took the cigarette out of my mouth and quenched the flame under my foot. She looked up, and I swear I felt my breath catch in my lungs. What were the odds that we would go to the same school?

I made a move to approach her, but another girl ran up to her squealing. The two women began to freak out, hugging each other. I was surprised that the blonde didn't drop her coffee yet. Eventually they let go of each other, and walked into the school.

I was left alone outside once again, along with the burnt smell and taste of the cigarette. I had claimed to have stopped my smoking problem when I came back home, but Kara should've known that was a lie. Looking to my left I saw that the blonde had come back out, presumably had forgotten something in her car, like usual. Swallowing my pride, I came to terms with myself and decided to talk to her once she came back.

I walked over to the doors and leaned against the wall. I began to mess with some fuzz on my jacket when I heard footsteps approaching and then abruptly stopping. I looked up, and there she stood. She had a look of disbelief on them, and I dared to call myself crazy if I saw a perplexed look hidden in her eyes.

"Hey." She said, holding her left arm to her side with her right hand. I smirked, looking at a habit she hadn't seem to have stopped.

"Hey." We stood there for a pregnant pause, almost like the world had stopped for us.

"I should uh... I should probably get going to class.." She tried to make her way past me, but I grabbed her hand.

"Julia.." She stopped and looked at me. It was one of those looks that Kara used to give when she was scared that I was going to hurt her, almost like a deer in headlights. I swore I could almost feel her heart beat pulse in her arm. The look made my heart break into a million pieces. How could she still hate me? I wasn't that guy anymore.

"Goodbye, Eric." She tugged her arm free and disappeared into the building, taking away with her my last bit of dignity that I had left. It didn't matter much though, did it?

I sighed and rubbed my face with my hand, trying to scrub the sleep and despair off. She was apart of my past, and sadly it was a part I couldn't let go. But that didn't mean that I had to give up on it. A part of her still had to love me, and it was up to me to figure it out. Even if it meant that I had to use another girl.

---

Sorry for the short chapter, but just figured I'd give you guys' something to chew on till wednesday. Don't forget to vote and comment!

Happy Wattpading!