Turquoise

When Prince Yuri was born, he seemed to light up the whole world with his radiance. He would smile and laugh, his sea-green eyes sparkling in joy, and the happiness seemed to be contagious in how it spread to the people around him. The child had beautiful golden hair that surrounded his head like a halo, conjuring up images of sunlight and the warm summer months.

The baby’s mother, the crown princess, wanted to host a christening party for him. Her father, King Nikolai, was adamantly opposed to this proposition.
“Christening parties all too often cause more trouble than they're worth,” he warned. “No matter how carefully you plan and review your guest list, some spirit or another always ends up not getting invited, and you know how that turns out. Recall what happened to your nephew?” His daughter sniffed haughtily and turned up her nose. No, she had not forgotten what had happened to Viktor. In fact, she would have liked to disremember the whole ordeal, but found it rather impossible.

“Of course I haven't,” she griped. “The whole kingdom slept for a hundred years!” Her father gave her a pointed look, and she huffed. “I suppose you're right,” she admitted reluctantly.
“Well then, I can be his godfather and you can be his godmother, and that will be all. We won't invite any faeriekind, and then none of them can be offended,” Nikolai asserted.
“Unless they all are,” the crown princess muttered.

Alas, she was correct. When the baby, his mother, and his grandfather returned from the christening ceremony, a frantic-looking maid ran up to them at the door. She straightened her cap and brushed off her apron to appear presentable, then bowed her head and announced, “My lady, some persons have called upon you. I informed them that you were not presently home, and they said that they would wait.”
“Are they in the parlor?” the crown princess questioned.
“Ah, no ma’am, I have shown them into the throne room. You see, there are several of them.”

There were several of them all right. Several hundred. They barely fit in the throne room, threatening to make it burst at its high, domed ceiling and stained glass window-embedded walls. There were the mavka, with their flower-woven long hair shrouding their naked forms; when they weren't facing you, one could see their organs because they were missing their backs. Then there were the rusalka, dripping with water and draped with aquatic plants, skin as sickly pale as a corpse. Scattered here and there were vodyanoy, their throats swelling and relaxing as they ribbeted obnoxiously. Algae and dark scales covered their nude bodies; matted, twisted beards doing little for modesty. Near the back of the group was Nocnitsa, her sunken-in face obscured by a large hood and eyes glowing yellow underneath it.

When the crown princess pulled opened the door, she was greeted by nearly simultaneous cries of,
“Why didn't you invite us to your christening party?”
“We didn't have a party,” she announced matter-of-factly, then turned to her father. “I told you so,” she hissed furiously.
“But you've had a christening,” one of the rusalka argued indignantly.

The sea of creatures parted, and Nocnitsa floated through them until she was standing in front of the new mother, who was clutching baby Yuri close, scared. Nocnitsa was the spirit that haunted the nightmares of children from the shadows. She had been left out of more christening parties than all of the other nymphs combined, and with good reason. Just being in her presence sent shivers down the crown princess’ spine. The spirit raised her arm and pointed a single gnarled finger at her.
“By not inviting me, you have disrespected me!” she screeched, wraith-like. The whispering crowd fell silent immediately, fearful of Nocnitsa’s wrath being turned upon them. Additionally, they were curious to see what would happen next, enthralled by the scene playing out before them.

Nocnitsa edged closer menacingly, and the crown princess was petrified in terror. She could see the nymph’s wild, yellow, owl-like eyes and smell the musty scent of dirt and moss clinging to her.
“Do you know what happens when faeriefolk get left out of christening parties?” The question wasn't intended to be answered, and hung threateningly in the air. Nocnitsa cackled hoarsely and continued. “The child gets cursed! Now, since I am the most powerful of the spirits here today, I will go first.” She stretched out her hand and pulled down the swaddle Yuri was wrapped in to get a better look at his face. The babe started crying when he saw her, red-faced. “What pretty hair,” she cooed. “The prince shall be bald!” she declared cruelly, then whirled around and vanished in a flash of darkness.

The rusalka who had spoken up earlier ran up.
“I'm next!” she announced, a malicious glint in her black eyes, her hair slapping wetly against her back when she tossed it. “The prince shall be-” King Nikolai rushed forwards and clamped a hand over her mouth before she could finish her sentence.
“Now see here,” he rebuked sternly. “I will not have this.” The nymph glared at him, rage burning in her expression. The king was quite unfazed, and turned to face the mob.

“I am surprised at all of you. Surely you know your own history?” There was no response. He sighed, shaking his head. “Listen to me, for your own sake. You must be aware that when a spirit breaks tradition, they go out like a candle flame doused by water. And according to tradition, only one faerie is ever neglected to be invited to a christening party, and only that one faerie places a curse on the child. Therefore, if more than one of you casts a hex on the prince, then you will surely perish.” A murmur swept through the multitude like a ripple as the fae wondered if this could be true.

“Come and try it if you don't believe me. Give horrible gifts to this innocent child, but as soon as you do I guarantee that you will be extinguished like a fire. Would any of you like to take the risk?” Nikolai challenged, releasing his hand from the rusalka’s mouth. None of the spirits uttered a word. One by one, the nymphs began filing out of the throne room. They left behind twigs, mud, moss, river weeds, and pond water strewn about the marble tile. Some of them thanked the crown princess on what a delightful visit it had been, but insisted that they had other engagements and must be on their way.

“It's really been quite lovely to see you,” the rusalka who had been on the brink of cursing the prince complimented, curtseying. “Please ask us to come and call upon you and the dear baby soon.” She then left, her long, dark hair trailing on the floor behind her. When all the fae had gone, the royals both let out a breath that they hadn't known they'd been holding.

The crown princess gasped, remembering the spell placed on Yuri, and tore away the blanket that was covering the baby’s head. Downy, soft golden locks came with it, and the child was left with no hair remaining on his scalp. He looked up at her and giggled, smiling wide.
“He's hideous now!” his mother wailed. Disgusted by his daughter’s words, the king took Yuri into his arms. The baby laughed in glee and babbled, reaching up his stubby little arms towards his grandfather’s face. His irises were like polished turquoise, and Nikolai could see his reflection in them. Protectiveness swelled in his heart. No harm would come to this child.

“What will we do?” the crown princess lamented, wringing her hands. “No princess will want to marry him now!” The king narrowed his eyes as he heard this.
“Calm down,” he commanded gruffly. His daughter inhaled a quick breath, as if she’d had an epiphany.
“Wait!” she exclaimed hopefully. “You still have that wish, correct? That you got as a wedding present when you married mother and never used?”
“Yes,” Nikolai replied warily. He did not like the idea that the crown princess was about to propose.
“Well then, go get it and we can wish for Yuri to have hair.”
“No. I don't think that that is a wise use of a wish. It is rather selfish.” His daughter looked annoyed and deflated. “However,” her face perked up as he continued, “I will keep it until Yuri grows up, and then I'll give it to him and he can decide for himself what he wants to use it for.” Bitterly resigned, the crown princess agreed.
“Very well.” She looked at her tiny baby with newfound contempt, and it seemed like all the light and compassion she had had before was almost completely drained out of her.

Nikolai sighed, disappointed that his daughter could be so shallow. She strutted off, head held high and not asking for him to return the child to her. The king was left there in the empty throne room, holding Yuuri gently and wondering what was in store for the little prince.