Chapter 5

Copyright © ScribblerMia, 2014

It's another day in school, and I'd bet, another strenuous day to come for me.

I wanted to stop time. I wanted to stop the car from moving. If it's possible for it to be a never-ending ride, I'd forever be thankful. If only I could talk to my big bad brother about this, I wouldn't have experienced this distress.

Unfortunately, my big bad brother just happened to think that yesterday was the best day to go out of the country for a business trip in Europe. I tried to call him, but his phone was turned off. Very clever.

"Miss, nandito na po tayo," biglang untag ni Octavio.

I stared at the window for a moment, admiring the Romanesque mansion. However, that awe was quickly replaced by a sudden fear.

Binaling ko ang paningin ko kay Octavio. "T-thank you." Dahan-dahan kong binuksan ang pinto ng sasakyan at bumaba. I sighed. One year, Alex. Just one year in this hell and you'll be out. Free.

Inayos ko ang maliit na backpack na nakasukbit sa magkabilang balikat ko. Unlike yesterday, I didn't make an effort to dress. I just wore a red long-sleeved plaid shirt, jeans, and a pair of white Converse rubber shoes.

I bit my lip. If the incident yesterday would happen again today, at least I was wearing pants.

Nagsimula akong maglakad papasok kasabay ng mga ibang estudyante. Karamihan sa kanila ay may mga kasabay sa paglalakad. Iilan lang yata kaming naglalakad na walang kasabay.

Nakaramdam ako bigla ng lungkot. I wish Zoe and I could also go to school together.

"Hey, Alex!"

Napaangat ang tingin ko sa malakas na bati sa akin. I smiled when I saw Zoe waving.

Zoe smiled and ran to me. "I'm really sorry I couldn't be with you before and after school. Busy lang talaga masyado sa school activities," she said apologetically.

Maaga kasing pumapasok si Zoe sa school at late na siya umuuwi. Sa dami ba naman ng organisasyog sinalihan niya, malamang ay ganito talaga siya kaabala. She's different outside school though.

I gave her a reassuring smile. "It's okay, Zoe. No need to worry. I am perfectly fine by myself." I was hoping that she wouldn't notice the lie behind what I said.

She grinned. "Really?"

Nagsimula na kaming maglakad ng sabay.

"Oo naman," I answered.

"Buti naman. I was worried to leave you alone because you know naman...," she trailed off.

I nodded in understanding. I perfectly understood.

"Did something happen?" She gave me an inquisitive look.

 Dali-dali akong umiling.

"Are you sure?" She raised her brows.

I nodded once again and gave her a faint smile. I didn't want Zoe to be worried. Kaya ko pa naman sa ngayon. Siguro ang nangyari kahapon ay one-time incident lang. Sana hindi na ito mangyari ulit ngayon at sa mga susunod na araw.

"Zoe!"

Zoe and I both stopped walking as we looked at the blonde girl smiling widely.

"Ash!" Zoe beamed.

They hugged each other excitedly.

"Have you heard the news?" The girl named Ash giggled. She absently twirled her blonde hair.