Prologue

Of course I was happy for Calum. He was living his dream. I just, I wish he came home more often.

My name? Zarah Michelson, I’m 18 years old. I have boring brown hair and hazel eyes. Although I did ombre my hair this year, it’s still well, boring. I've known Calum since I was 5; I met him a daycare the first week I moved to Australia. He was my only friend for a while. Him being a year older than me, he treated me like his little sister. It was like we were glued together, it was impossible to separate us. He had my back and I had his, and we never left each other’s sight.

But things change right? Calum, Luke and Michael made a band, posted videos on YouTube occasionally. Then Ashton came along, and well things changed; a lot. They went from these gigs in bars to a world tour with One Direction. When Cal left, I was alone. Sure I had other friends, but no one could make me laugh like Cal, no one could tolerate me as much as him, and no one could ever replace him. When he left, it was like a little part of me did. We tried to keep in touch. It started with daily Skype calls, to weekly phone calls, to the occasionally letter, to nothing. I sometime just sit in my room, waiting for him to come through that door. But I’ve gotten tired of waiting, tried of giving myself false hope.

So why is this suddenly so important? Well, the famous Calum Hood comes home today. I haven’t seen him in two years. And well, I guess I’m scared. Scared that when we see each other we'll be two different people, or worse, we won’t even recognize each other.