The Murder

The wind wreaked havoc in her hair as the sand shifted around her. She paid no attention to the deep blue waters of the sea crashing relentlessly against the shore. Nor did she pay attention to the sand lashing at her bare legs. How, you may ask. How did she not notice the storm brewing around her? Well, there was a much bigger storm brewing inside her.

Gasping for breath, she stopped and hunched over, clutching her stomach.

'You can run. But you know you can't hide,' the voice seemed to come from every direction.

Whirling around she gasped again. She thought she had outrun him. She thought she could stop.

She thought wrong.

Again.

Just like she thought she could trust him.

'What do you want from me!?' She yelled over the wind.

No answer.

Instead of sticking around to get an answer she turned and ran. Right into a black clad figure. The scream that was begging to be released lodged itself in her throat so all that came out was a pathetic whimper.

'I want to know what you know about Raven Young,' came a deep voice from above her.

Raven Young. How did this guy find out about Rae? It was a closely guarded secret in her family. She'd only told one person.

'I don't know what you're talking about,' she gulped.

The wind picked up intensity. The waves grew louder as they smashed against the shore. The sand was like millions of ants, stinging the bare skin on her legs repetitively.

'You're lying,' the voice snarled.

Suddenly, she was pushed to the ground. For a second all she knew was sand. It was in her eyes, it was in her ears, in her mouth and her hair. It took only a second for her to regain her composure and she was up out of the sand and bolting down the beach. Deep laughter surrounded her from every angle. The wind whipped the tears away for her, leaving no trace.

'I don't like liars.'

Sobbing she ran faster than she ever thought possible.

'I don't like it when people run away from me either.'

She was tiring.

'Didn't I tell you, you can't run away from me.'

She tripped and fell.

'I'm always right.'

With no energy left, she couldn't rise. She was done. She knew it. And so did he.

He leisurely strolled up and grabbed her by the hair. Yanking her up, he forced her to look into his eyes. He always liked to see their face before they, 'passed on.'

'This could've been avoided Miss Marto.'

No, it couldn't. She knew he would eventually find her.

'I'll give you one more chance to tell me what you know, or you know what's going to happen.'

She knew alright. The same thing that had happened to half the other girls in this town. Murdered. In the most painful way. But she also knew he wasn't going to spare her, no matter what she told him.

'Never!' She spat.

He grinned. It was a grin that would've made a grown man cry.

'I was hoping you would say that,' the menace behind those few words were terrifying.

Before she could realize what was happening, pain erupted in her stomach. Gasping, she looked down. There, protruding from her ever-growing red stomach, was a dagger. It was buried up to the hilt. He pulled it out again, but she never noticed.

Stumbling back, she brought a shaky hand to cover the wound.

She knew she wasn't going to make it out alive, but she didn't think it would be this painful.

Tripping, she fell and landed on her side. Hard. Not that she felt it. Black spots hanging in her vision. Her eyes going in and out of focus.

'You should've told me. Now I have to go after your friend. As much as I don't want to, I have to get what I want.'

No. Not her. Not Isla. She was so innocent. But there was nothing she could do.

Breathing in one last time, she savored the smell of the sea.

She always loved the sea. It reminded her of Rae.

Eyes closing, the last thing she saw was swaying black hair, piercing, ocean blue eyes twinkling with mischief.

She exhaled, the tinkle of familiar laughter surrounding her.

'Mum.' That voice.

Her beloved daughter.

'Rae,' the whisper left her lips.

'It's time to come home now mum.'

*****

Dumping the body in the tumbling surf, he walked back and crouched down next to the bloody sand. Such a pity to waste a resourceful young girl.

A sharp clear sound rang out through the air. A twig had snapped.

Glancing up, his eyes caught a pair of startled, somewhat familiar looking brown eyes.

Glaring, he began to rise, but they quickly disappeared. The sound of retreating footsteps could clearly be heard. The storm had quietened when Sophia Marto had met a, rather unfortunate end.

It didn't matter though.

He had seen her. She had seen him.

Kicking fresh sand over the bloodied sand. He ran his hand through his hair.

Great. He now had to get rid of a witness.

*****

Roses are red,

Violets are blue,

You're dead Miss Webb,

Cause I'm coming for you.