Moon: Tired

Summary: in which the First Champion of Alola leaves a letter on her desk.

To whom it may concern:

I may know who you are - you may be a friend (if it's Hau: hello, sorry I didn't leave any Malasadas for you, now get out of my room. If you're Lillie: hello Lillie, how's Kanto and your mum? Your hair looks fantastic. If you're Prof Kukui: what's up, prof? Have you invested in a shirt yet?), a not-quite friend but also not-quite enemy (eyeing you, Gladion), my mother (Arceus, stop snooping!) or even a stranger.

You know me as Moon. Heh, and why shouldn't you? I was christened as the First Champion of Alola at precisely midnight. I'm more of a night soul than a day spirit, which is why people say my skin practically glows under the moon. I befriended the legendary Pokémon of the moon, Lunala. Heck, I was even born a minute before midnight, just ask my mother.

But I suppose that's all you know about me. That's the facts spread across all the tabloids, all over the various Wikis and other assortments of websites. That's the facts Alolans are expected to know for a quiz show, in case I become a topic. After all, I'm supposed to be the prestigious First Champion of these islands, right?

Thing is, I hate having to 'supposed to' be someone. I just don't conform. I detest the glaring lights of the paparazzi's cameras. I loathe the bling and glamour I'm showered with, something that only happened once I had 'proven' myself to be 'worthy' of it.

I prefer the darkness of night, where no one can see me. I like hiding in the shade, away from the sun's glower. I favour the dimmest of lights to illuminate my small and cosy bedroom. After all, there's no one watching me, waiting for me to make one wrong move so that they can slaughter me in a scathing article in The Alolan Journal.

Four years, I've been trapped in the open public eye. Every interview I go to, I promise to always do Alola proud. I promise to always give my two-hundred percent of my effort one-hundred percent of the time. I promise a lot of things I can't deliver, and it kills me inside. I can't always do my best all the damn time; I'm bound to get exhausted some time. Then what? Another brutal headline? More photographs of me taken without my knowledge or consent? Most, if not all of which have been heavily altered? People flaming me online and even jeering me in the streets? And I thought I was your beloved Champion.

This wasn't what I wanted at all. The only reason my mother and I packed our bags and hopped over to Alola was to get the hell out of Kanto. It was getting too much. What with Team Rocket loyalists still hanging around staging hostile takeovers and trying to ignite an all-out civil war, why would we stick around any longer? Did you know, right before we left for good, Cerulean City was the third to fall, after Pewter and Celadon, after several months of violence? That was home. I grew up by the clear streams flowing through the city, and a strong and capable Gym Leader watching over it. Those bastards ripped all that I had from me. Now I'll never know if my best friend made it out of that hellhole alive.

I arrived here for barely a day and I was already the 'chosen one', as deemed by your Tapu Koko. I really, really didn't want to go on this stupid journey, but that was what the Tapu decreed - and whatever the Tapus say goes - so off I went scuttling from island to island, city to city.

I just wanted to get the bare minimum done and over with, which was to complete the island challenge, then go back to the peace of my home. But the Tapus decided they were in control of my fate, so up I went the mountain and became your First Champion.