Marvelous Journal

February 12

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Beep! Beep! Beep!

I groan and hit the snooze button.

I had already made my decision. I was going to sacrifice being pretty for sleep.

Don't we all? It's funny that they refer to it as "beauty sleep", yet we look ugly every time we sleep in.

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Beep! Beep! Beep!

Ugh. I glance at my clock and almost have a heart attack. I missed my bus by ten minutes.

Rushing to get ready, I slip on some jeans and semi-brush out my curls.

The guy (Dad? Not sure what to call him.) was sitting at my dining room table.

"Need a ride?" He asked as I grabbed my books and piled them into my backpack.

"No." I replied.

"You sure? It's a little late for the bus isn't it?"

"No, I ride the late bus. Bye." I walked toward the door, then paused. "What's your name? I mean, I prefer not calling you Dad. You weren't around when I learned that word, so-"

"Kevin. Just call me Kevin. Maybe Kev, if you want me to be your friend." He answered.

Ew. Kev? He's like forty something. Can you imagine me calling him Kev? Ha.

I rolled my eyes and headed toward school. I knew I'd be tardy, but I enjoyed the walk. It was peaceful, though a little chilly. I pressed my coat against me and hummed as I walked along the sidewalks.

I was nervous, but determined to talk to Vanessa. Maybe we'd be friends again. Or maybe she'd think I'm the biggest freak to walk the planet and sanitize her hands after speaking to me so she wouldn't catch my disease.

After a good half hour, I finally arrived at school. My school secretary didn't look too impressed that I was late, but I signed into the office and picked up a tardy slip. The bell had just rang for second period. Vanessa was busy texting when I sat in the desk next to hers.

"Vanessa? Can I talk to-"

"Didn't I tell you to leave me alone? Stop talking to me." She spit back without even glancing up from her phone.

"Look, I don't know what I did to you, but I'm sorry."

"I told you, quit talking. Go sit by Don. You're definitely weird enough for him."

"Ouch." I felt that one. It stabbed me in the heart. My chest tightened.

My eyes grew blurry and then-

"Listen bitch, I don't know who you think you are."

Vanessa gasped, along with everyone else.

It felt like I was hearing another person say that. Not me. I would never say that!

But I did.

Or Meggie did. Strong language for a small child.

I ran out of the room then, heading toward the bathroom.

I sat in the stall until the very last bell of the day.

I'd get in trouble for skipping class, but whatever.

I could care less.

Meggie needed to be controlled.