Chapter 6; The Light's Call

Link, the Hero of Time, stood at the bottom of the steps to the Sacred Forest Meadow, hands held up in front of him. And he couldn't believe what he had just done.

Somehow, with almost no knowledge of the Force, he had used it. And he was strong with it. And it had something to do with the Triforce. What could this mean?

And... Navi!

Link turned and ran into the large thicket of trees where Navi lay dying. He knelt down by her side, trying to maintain his composure, and held his hand over her.

"Please be healed," he said, willing the Force and the Triforce to heal her. Golden light shined out of his palm, and as it washed over the little fairy, she was instantly healed of her injuries. Her wings straightened and fluttered, her glow returned to normal, and she rose up off the ground.

"Ow," was the first thing she said. "I'm starting to think that maybe I talk too much."

Link sighed in relief, smiling at her. "I've been trying to tell you that for years," he said. They shared a small laugh, then Link straightened up, picking up the Master Sword. Navi fluttered over by his head.

"You really had me worried there for a few minutes," Link told her. "The anger I felt... it was... well, more than I can remember feeling in quite a while."

Navi flew in circles around his head. "Well, next time that happens, which will be never because that hurt, keep your emotions in check. You need to have control if you want to still be worthy of the Triforce of Courage."

Link held up his hand to silence her. "Yeah, I get it, I get it. Just... remember what you said about talking too much."

Navi chuckled. "What would you do without me?"

Link looked at her thoughtfully. After a moment, he said, "I really don't know. I've never thought of that."

He stood in silence and she floated in silence. That silence was broken when Navi exclaimed, "Hey! What happened to Dooku?"

Right. Count Dooku was still around. Whether or not he had survived Link's force push, the Hero of Time couldn't tell. Best to find out now, he figured.

Link turned and started walking up the stairs to the Sacred Forest Meadow again. "Up here," he said to Navi.

They ascended the steps, and at the top they saw Dooku lying unconscious amid splinters of the shattered dead tree. Only he was now regaining consciousness and sitting up.

Link walked up to the count and held the Master Sword to his neck. Dooku looked up at Link with... fear in his eyes. He was afraid of the Light Side of the Force, of the Triforce of Courage that enhanced it. And then Link understood. The Triforce enhanced the Light Side just like the Great Dooku Tree enhanced the Dark Side. Which meant that right now, away from the Dooku Tree, Link was the stronger force user. Especially since he had now controlled his emotions and was once again worthy to wield the Triforce.

The fear in Dooku's expression contorted into anger, then contorted further into hate. He was weaker than a young man who had barely learned to use the Force, and it enraged him.

"Well," he snarled, "if you are going to kill me, why wait? Do it now."

Link looked down at Dooku, expressionless. It would be easy to kill him now and rid Hyrule and whatever galaxy he came from from his danger. Some would consider it the right thing to do. But Link wouldn't kill him. It just... didn't feel right, like it wasn't something one who used the Light Side of the Force would do. Besides, Link had already done a lot of killing in his life. He was done with that now. It was time to become worthy of the Triforce and the Light Side. Time to be a hero who showed proper mercy. Time to be a better person that he'd been his whole life before.