Chapter 29

Donnie dragged himself up the stairs of the Dundas subway station. Tears ran down his face. Last night, he had talked to Frank when he was drinking and in an ugly mood.

“Listen, kid,” Frank shouted, “I didn’t hurt your precious Gram. She just died in her sleep.”

“But you made her change her will. My dad says so,” Donnie insisted.

“She left Suzannah the house, fair and square, after she promised to look after her.”

“My dad says she died of an overdose.”

“Well, I don’t know nothin’ about that.” Frank shoved Donnie aside.

He could tell, by the way Frank’s eyes were all shifty, that he’d poisoned her tea and then, worst of all, used him to deliver it. Frank was going to pay big time.

In the chat rooms, they were talking about the Florist and the cleansing power of fire. But that guy used a knife. Donnie loved the smell and crackle of fire, but that was no way to get rid of Frank. He knew he was too small and weak for a knife. It had to be a gun. But how could he get one? The next day, he asked around at school. The Flamingo Restaurant, he was told.

Most of all, he wanted the bastard to suffer. Smiling, he decided to make Frank crawl on the floor with his fat ass waving in the air. Make him beg. He met the man selling guns in the back room of the Flamingo. It was easy! He gave them the money and he got the gun. Already, he could hear Frank pleading.

On the morning Donnie got the gun, Frank drove to Buffalo to see Benny. He was at the Burlington Skyway. Below the high bridge, the bay glistened, but on the Buffalo side, heavy clouds made the water a dirty gray. Jesus! Chin had told him to see Benny about the missing money. A few years back, he’d met the Chinaman on some downtown condo sales. And when he had needed cash fast, he had introduced him to Benny. No problem. He could earn it by delivering bundles of cash from Benny to Chin. He kicked himself. It had been stupid to take a loan from the last delivery. Now he had to explain fast.

Benny’s office was at the back of a convenience store. Frank parked in the back laneway.

“Hiya, fat boy!” Frank did not move. “Benny’s expecting you. We’re going in the side door.” Two men led Frank down an alleyway and into an alcove. “Put your hands against the wall, fat boy.”

“Come on, guys,” Frank said, but he set down his briefcase and leaned into the wall. He craned his neck around to see them. The first blow was the worst. Screaming, Frank crumpled to his knees. Writhing in the rubble, he almost blacked out from the pain radiating from the small of his back. A boot slammed into his neck, cutting off his air. Hot breath was on his cheek. The pavement scraped his chin.

“Frank, Frank. The boss don’t like his men taking unauthorized cuts.” There was a low chuckle. “Just a friendly warning, fat boy. It’s payback time.”

They dragged Frank to his feet and opened the door. “The boss is gonna see you now, Frank.”

A dim light was at the end of the hallway. Frank stumbled and touched his wet cheek. When he reached the light, he saw blood smeared on his hand. He tried to catch his breath. A door opened. Benny sat at his desk. Except for the eyes, he could be anybody’s grandfather.

“Listen, Benny, I’ll settle up with you next week. Honest.”

“You’ve been stealing, Frank.” Benny said quietly. “I’m very disappointed.”

“Benny, I swear to God I’ll pay you back. Just give me another week,” Frank pleaded. The other men moved closer to Frank. Benny waved them off.