Part 2

• Dedicated to Payton

I could see a light. It was very bright and it was shining in my face like the sun and it felt warm. I followed it and it felt like I could fly. I looked around and saw my grandpa. I then saw my cousin who’d passed away in a motorcycle accident. She was smiling and she opened up her arms to give me a hug. I instantly took the chance to hug her and then I moved on and saw a classmate of mine. He looked at me and said, “I knew you’d come...” And then I was loosing them...I then saw black. And then I opened my eyes. I saw a man in front of me. He had on white clothing. It must be a doctor, I told myself. I then looked to my right and saw my father. But, he looked much, much older. And he looked sad. Wha..what was going on here? Why am I in a hospital? And why does my dad look so different. “Hey doctor, she’s awake!” said dad. The doctor came over to me asked me if I could see them fine. I nodded and said, “Why am I here?” “Don’t you remember Des?” asked dad, “You were in an accident on the dirt road with Reese. And you were hit by a young man in a truck.” I just looked at him and I kept thinking....what does he mean I was with Reese. She’s not old enough to ride yet. She was just born a week ago... “Um...what are you talking about. Reese was just born a week ago. I can’t ride her yet..” I said confused. What the hell is he talking about? “Sweety, Reese is four years old.” said dad looking at the doctor, “doctor what’s going on here? Can she not remember anything?” “I didn’t think it would be possible for her to loose that much memory. I only predicted her to not remember the accident. I certainly didn’t think her brain injury was that bad.” said the doctor looking at dad and then me, “Desiree, what is the last thing you remember?” I was thinking and I couldn’t exactly remember the last thing but all I knew was that I was 14 years old and I was a freshman at Yolander High School. My parents don’t get along, mom had an affair, my horse just died after giving birth to a newborn foal, and I live on a small farm. “Um...I’m 14 years old.” I said looking at the doctor. Dad’s jaw dropped and the doctor looked down. “Honey, you’re 18 years old. And you just graduated from high school two weeks ago.” said dad. I looked at him in confusion and I realized that he might be right. He looked so much older and that would explain why I would have been riding Reese. “Danny, I’m afraid she can’t remember anything besides the fact that she remembers that she’s 14 years old.” Dad just looked down and started to cry. “Dad, where..where’s mom?” He looked at me and started to cry even more. the doctor told me he’d be right back so dad could get me caught up on things. 

*******************************

“So, you mean to tell me that I’m engaged...at 18?” I asked as dad looked irritated. “Yeah, his name is Eric and you’ve been together since 10th grade.” Wow...I thought. I never thought I’d be that in love. “Well then. So um...you never did tell me where mom is.” I said. “Des, what month do you think it is right now?” “You mean before you told me I just graduated?” Dad nodded. “Well, November. But, I’m guessing by the way the sun is shining through the window right now and the way you’re dressed I’m wrong.” He sighed and said, “Yeah you’re wrong. And well, your mom is gone.” “You..You mean she’s dead?” I asked. “No..no. I mean she left. On her own. And I haven’t heard from her since.” Holy cow, I thought to myself. Why would she do that? I thought her and dad were working things out. “Did she run away with that guy she slept with?” I asked trying to stay calm. “I really don’t know. She might actually be dead for all I know.” he said. Just then a blonde, tall, slender guy walked into the room. “Oh my god, Des! I was so worried when your dad called and said you’d been hit on the road. I thought I’d never see you again after your dad told me you had a massive brain injury.” he said walking over to me. “Uh...dad. Who’s this?” I said looking at him. He kinda looked familiar, like an older version of someone I already knew. “Danny, is she joking? I mean surely...oh my god. Does she not remember anything?” he asked. “Desiree, this is Eric.” said dad. I looked him up and down and I thought to myself, I’m engaged to him? He was good looking but not shockingly hot or anything.I did notice that he had a bit of red stuff on his cheek...kind weird. I tried to imagine myself kissing him. Ew, I thought to myself. I tried to think of any kids in my class with the name of Eric. Oh my god...he’s Eric Brainbridge....he is like the most popular kid in my class...and I’m engaged to him? Wow...he was a lot hotter in his younger years. Right now he looked kinda sketchy. “Uh, dad? Can I have a moment alone with him?” I asked. “You sure? Do you remember him any?” he asked. “Yeah, but only in his younger years. I remember exactly who he is when I was 14 years old, I mean it took a bit to recognize him but right now I know nothing about him.” “Well, then I’ll leave you two to talking.” said dad walking out of the room.