Part 3

• Dedicated to Payton

I was woken up by some kind of banging somewhere in the house. What the hell is going on? I thought. I walked into the kitchen to find Jack using a hammer to put up a nail for a picture frame. “Thanks for waking me up.” I said sarcastically. Jack just looked at me and smiled. He stared at my legs. What is he looking at, I thought. I looked down and realized I was just in underwear. I laughed a little bit and just went over to the fridge to get some apple juice. “So, you always walk around everywhere like that?” asked Jack. “Nah, just when your around.” I said smiling and I laughed a little bit. He got down off the ladder and said to me, “Where did your dad take you last night? He seemed pretty nervous about you going.” “I went on a date with Eric. My supposed “fiancé” and I don’t like him one bit. He’s really cocky and I don’t understand how the hell we were together all those years. He just thinks I’m going to remember loving him...ugh. It’s so frustrating.” I said. Jack just looked at me and he looked kind of sad. I couldn’t understand whether he felt sorry for me or whether he just didn’t want me talking about my problems. But, hey, he’s the one that asked in the first place. “I’m sorry to hear about that. I met him once when he stopped by here looking for you, before your accident and he doesn’t seem like your type.” I nodded and said, “Look, I’m sorry about seeming so dramatic, it’s just that I just want to get rid of him. I don’t want him being my problem whether he loves me or not.” “If you want me to I can tell him you’re not here when he stops by.” I nodded and said, “Yeah thanks. That would be great.” Jack smiled and looked at my legs again. “And sorry about my underwear problem.” He smiled again and I then realized how bright his smile was. Gad damn why does he have to be hot. I stopped myself from seeming like I was staring but it was hard. And then our eyes met. His eyes were breathtaking. “Desiree?” said Jack. Breaking away from my thoughts I said, “Yeah?” “I have to go feed the horses. You wanna catch up later with maybe a ride or something?” I didn’t know he liked to ride horses and god I’d give anything to talk to him more. “Sure. Just tell me when.” I said smiling. He walked away and I stared at his butt. I really needed to stop thinking about him. But, hey, I guess I technically could if I wanted to. He didn’t exactly have a girlfriend as far as I knew and things definitely weren’t gonna work out for Eric and I. I just couldn’t get over how stunning he was. 

*************************************************************************************

I got a text from Eric saying, Sorry about last night. I feel horrible. Do you think you could forgive me? I’m still willing to try and save what we had. I don’t want to loose you even more Des. I didn’t reply back because I didn’t care. I did feel kind of bad for him but it’s not my fault that spark isn’t there anymore. I was in my room going through pictures from the last four years. There were lots of them with Eric and I but also a lot of Reese and I. There were a couple girls I picked out and realized who they were. I never thought I’d be their friends. There was a knock at my door and I answered it. Dad was there telling me that Jack was done with work and wanted to know I was still up for the ride. I nodded and smiled really big. “I’ll see you for dinner then?” asked dad. I nodded and practically ran to the door.

I went to the barn to see Jack petting Chloe. She was one of our new horses, according to dad. She was dark black and very pretty. He also had one of our older horses out, Dodger. He was really big and was a white color with brown spots. “Hey, sunshine.” said Jack. I smiled at the remark. “I’ll ride chloe if you wanna ride Dodger.” I said petting Chloe and taking her reins in my hands. “Yeah sure. Chloe is beautiful by the way. I would ask you where you got her but you have no idea, do you?” “Nope.” I said as I got up on Chloe. She was kind of tall but I would get used to her. Jack got up on Dodger and we headed toward the back pasture. We walked for a bit and Jack asked me, “So, Desiree, how’s the whole Eric thing going?” “Well, he’s texted me a few times and I just ignore him. I do kinda feel bad for him but I just think we need to stop trying for a bit.” We kept riding a little ways when Jack told me to stop. I stopped and I asked, “What’s wrong?” He pointed a couple feet away, it was a snake.