chapter 2

The first few minutes to the ride had been nothing but pure silence.

Being alone with Taehyung made me realize that I still did have all those questions I had thought were long gone. But I restricted myself from speaking of anything regarding that. The last thing I wanted was to create an embarrassing memory that'd keep replaying on my mind.

I just wanted to get home already.

"So," Taehyung began, eyes fixated on the road. "How have you been?"

"That's really the first thing you're going to ask me, huh?" I chuckled humorlessly.

"Well, I actually wanted to ask you about this little Aeri I heard of, and the custody case, but I was trying to keep it casual and not pry," he shot back and turned to me with a grin.

"I've been fine, I guess." I quickly responded. Then, I heaved a sigh and crossed my arms as I stared out of the window.

Taehyung snorted at how I pushed his quirky reply aside, and I grimaced to myself.

"So you're a mom now?" he casually questioned.

"Yeah." I nodded a little, turning forward again. "I thought you're not going to pry?"

"You opened the door for me," he defended. "Since when have you been married?"

"Uhh... since never?"

A hard look formed on his face, and I could tell he was trying to come up with the best version of his question. Probably the one where he wouldn't get misunderstood. I guess that, too, hadn't changed.

"So who are you against with little Aeri's custody?"

Smart question, Taehyung.

But more than that, I found it really cute that he said 'little Aeri' again. I didn't exactly know when it started that people called her that way, but it suited her and I really liked it whenever I heard it.

"Well, it's not really anyone in particular. The court needs me to prove I'm capable of raising Aeri."

"Then what's the problem?" Yeah. He was really good at asking the safe questions but still being able to satisfy his curiosity.

"Single parents need more qualifications to adopt children, and in my case, they don't think it's best that Aeri gets adopted by me." I frowned.

"How come the baby's with you already? And wait, does it mean you're not her real mom?"

I pondered whether I should tell him about it or not. It wasn't some sort of secret of mine, but my mind told me that Taehyung was better off without knowing.

"It's a long story," I muttered.

"I have time," he insisted.

"Don't waste your time on me, Taehyung."

My words might have surprised him and he didn't utter anything for a couple of seconds. To my defense, my voice wasn't cold or harsh at all. Just... bland when I told him that.

"At least you call me Taehyung and not Mr. Kim," he broke in, cooling down the atmosphere.

"It sounds weird." I scrunched my nose in distaste, and Taehyung chuckled.