chapter 29

The more days the doctors could not tell me what was wrong with Aeri, the more I worried about her. A problem with her immune system was what they had told us recently, but they couldn't elaborate since they weren't a hundred percent sure about it still.

The doctors had informed us that it could just be a light problem, yet it did not make me feel any better. I wanted a solid result I could assure myself with.

Doctor Seokjin had advised me to be patient as they looked into Aeri's case. This was probably what he meant back then, though he himself was as clueless as the other doctors. They still had to administer a few tests.

"Taehyung, I told you, I'm fine," I said and heard a sigh from the other end of the line followed by shuffling noises.

"Have you eaten?"

"I have."

"Really?"

Just then, the door opened revealing Somi-ajumma.

"Really," I responded firmly. "You could ask Somi-ajumma if you don't believe me."

Somi gave me a thoughtful glance and I returned it with a small smile and mouthed 'Taehyung'.

After convincing Taehyung a hundred times that I was fine and he didn't need to postpone his work just to be here, we hung up.

Aeri was still sleeping, her right arm wrapped in a cloth to secure the IV attached to her. Lately, Aeri had not been drinking her milk nor had she been eating any solid food we tried to feed her with. In order for Aeri to get the nutrients her body needed, especially now that her health wasn't in its best, we had no choice but to resort to pumping fluids to her body.

And every time they opened that cloth, I felt my heart being squeezed. The child who had brought so much love and sunshine to my life was wrapped in a cloudy haze. She did not deserve this.

"Kyungmin, don't you think it's time for you to take a walk out for fresh air?" My head snapped up to Somi. "The garden's scenery might help you refresh your mind."

I gave it a thought as I observed Aeri, only making me more hesitant to leave her. Soothing her hair, I rested my head beside her, my eyes not leaving her face.

"Kyungmin..." Somi-ajumma stood behind me and held me on my shoulders, trying to comfort me as much as she could.

I had grown so weak that this small gestures were enough to emotionally crush me. A tear had fallen down from my eye without consent.

"It's just...so hard to see her like this."

Somi rubbed circles on my back and I blocked my face with both hands, elbows leaning on Aeri's bed, to muffle my sobs.

Wiping away the tears, I turned back at Somi-ajumma and looked up at her.

"You need to be strong for Aeri. She will be okay. Soon, she will be back to her usual self, being cheerful and bringing joy to everyone. You just got to hang in there." Somi-ajumma had confidence when she told me this, and then she hugged me.

The door suddenly swung open and there stood Doctor Seokjin, shooting me an encouraging smile the moment his eyes landed on me.

"I am guessing she is still confining herself here as well?" Doctor Seokjin asked Somi.

"You know her," Somi meaningfully answered. Before I got to know anyone of them, they had already been close to each other. Hence, the familiarity.