20

Danica

My tears stained the countless tissues surrounding me on the floor, accompanied by pill bottles & ripped up pages.

My heart was broken. I couldn't breathe. I was choking on the oxygen around me as this darkened my thoughts.

I scrolled down to Hayes' contact & tapped it to call. He picked up immediately.

"Danica?" he answered.

"It's gone Hayes," I choked on my words.

"What's gone?" he asked.

"The baby Hayes! It's gone," I cried.

"Dani you had a miscarriage?" he asked.

"Yes," I cried louder into the phone as the other side of the line stayed quiet.

"I'm so sorry Dani. I'm always here for you," he said soundly.

"Thank you Hayes," I sniffed & that's when it stayed quiet for a long time.

"Hayes?" I called.

"Hayes," I cried again & still no reply. I started to get anxious till I heard a knock at the door.

I wiped my tears quickly as I though of the possibility of it being my mom. I walked down & answered it to feel a set of arms hug me.

"How did you get here?" I asked as I wiped my eyes with my sleeves.

"I got my car privileges revoked until tomorrow so I rode my dirt bike here which was tricky but you need me so I risked it for you," he said soundly & kept holding me.

"Hayes. You didn't have to do that," I sighed.

"But I wanted to. For you," he held my face in his hands & smoothened my pulp face stained with tears.

"Thank you," I sulked & felt the tears coming again.

He led me to the couch & sat me down. I tried to control my breathing & explain.

"I went to the doctor today & he told me. I was heart broken. I still am. I'm sorry Hayes," I cried into his shoulder.

"Listen Dani. It's not your fault. If anything, clearly you were saved. This was a lesson. For you to be more careful. Now we can live life freely. Together as soon as everything normal again I swear. I'm gonna treat you right. Because you deserve to be Danica," he said, kinda breathless.

I just looked at him & hugged him tightly. As tight as ever like I knew if I let go then it would be over.

"Can I just ask. How did they not hear the bike start?" I giggled a bit.

"Well, that's quite interesting. I had to sneak out & walk a couple blocks before I could jump on it & start it. So I looked like a random kid on the road walking with a dirt bike. Totally normal," he chuckled which caused me to giggle.

"Wow Hayes. All this for me?" I chuckled.

"Yes because you mean something to me," he smiled which caused me to blush.

"You're so beautiful," he sighed & looked at me, causing me to hide my face.

"No I mean it. Sober even. You're just so beautiful. I could stare at you all day," he admitted freely.

"I could talk to you all day. You're just so amazing," I smiled & wandered my eyes to the wall clock, "crap my mom's coming in like five minutes. You better jet," I stood up & led him to the door.

"Yeah I better go before my mom finds out I'm not there," he walked out & stood on the porch.

"I'll miss you," I sighed.

"You shouldn't. I'm coming back to school tomorrow," he smiled & sighed at the same time.

"That's great," I smiled as I held his hands & fiddled with his fingers.

"Could I kiss you? Just once?" he asked with a shy smile. He was too adorable.

"What do you think?" I asked & he smirked & looked down at me as he delicately placed his lips on mine. He pulled away & smiled at me hugely.

"See you tomorrow," I smiled & pushed him back a bit.

"See you tomorrow," he smiled & walked away to his bike & drove away.