prologue

"You're it!"

"You're it!"

Jessie Hopper giggled happily as she ran through the forest, trying to find a hiding spot before he found her.

Steve Harrington chuckled at the girl's childish behavior, padding through the fallen autumn leaves in search of the brunette.

"Come on, Jess! This is so immature!" The boy called into the open air.

Jessie simply grinned to herself as she pushed her body farther into the broken tree she had luckily stumbled across.

"Jessie, for real. We have to go meet up with Nancy in like ten minutes!" Steve's playful voice echoed through the empty forest.

Jessie sighed, realizing the boy was right, before placing her hand on the ground to push herself up. They couldn't be late again. The brunette paused as she felt her hand slide over a broken piece of glass that littered the area next to where she sat. "Shit," the girl muttered, putting her now bloody hand in front of her face to examine the damage.

"Jessie, I give up. Where are you?" She hears Steve's calm voice begin to turn frantic in the distance. The blue eyed girl went to shout back that she was coming, but was stopped short as a long, slim fingered hand wrapped around her, dragging her right through the tree.

"Wha-? Steve, help!"

That was the last anyone had heard from Jessica Diane Hopper.

A month and a half later, things had gone back to normal for most that knew the girl.

A common assumption was that she ran away. Others believed that she was abducted.

Steve Harrington led the search parties the first month. He organized the groups and handed out goodie bags at the end of each disappointing night.

By the second month he began to lose hope. The voices around him had him convinced that Jessie wasn't coming back. That someone had her and wasn't going to let her go. Others tried to convince him the girl was dead.

By the end of the second month Steve had given up. He couldn't silence the noise around him so he let it all in. He decided that Jessie would want him to move on. To be happy.

So he moved on with her best friend.

Jim Hopper, however, never gave up. He searched for his daughter everyday, not allowing the rumors to phase him. He knew his daughter, she was smart enough to keep herself alive. He also knew what a good kid she was, he knew she would never run away. She had no reason to, she had loving friends and him. She had her dad, she always had him. Even after the death of Sarah, when her mother left, she had him. She wouldn't leave, she knew she was all Jim had left and she wouldn't leave him. He knew, Jim knew.

Mike Wheeler, Dustin Henderson, Lucas Sinclair, and Will Byers all searched aswell, despite their parents ordering them not to. They searched nearly everyday after school before going back to Mike's house for board games and pizza.

That is, until Will Byers disappeared too.

AUTHOR'S NOTE !
Hi! Just a few disclaimers before beginning the story;

I only own my plot and OC's.

I do not own Stranger Things, nor do I own the characters or anything taken from the show. All rights to the owners and writers.

UPDATED NOTE: the editing has begun.

Edited.