Chapter 7

READ, COMMENT AND VOTE

     "I don't need a tux or anything like that to get in, do I?" Cade jokes as we drive down the dimly lit road. I furrow my eyebrows together as I look around the unfamiliar roads. There are run down buildings and trash littered everywhere.

     "Cade..." I trail off, only looking at him momentarily before I focus back on the road. "Why did you make me turn left? Where are we?" I ask.

     "I want to show you something." He shrugs as he looks out of the window to his right.

     We were going on our way to Tristan's party but when I was about to his head to the upper part of Philly, Cade told me to take a left instead. I did what he told me do but as we got further into I became concerned as I didn't really know this part of Philly. There are run down buildings littered with graffiti and boarded up windows and doors. Trash was thrown everywhere you looked, looking more of a junkyard then an actually road.

     "Let's just get to the party." I whine.

     "It wont take long." He reassures. "Pull over up here." He points to a little path way that has to tall brick walls next to it.

     I do as he says and pull up next to the pathway. We both jump out the car, making sure to lock it. He walks ahead of me down the narrow path. I follow shortly behind him, making sure to stay close as I don't know this place very well.

     After a few moments, the path turns leads us to a open space, filled with rusty, old cars and metal scraps everywhere. There are brick walls built all around the junk yard and rusty barb wire planted on top. There a few dirty machines placed around the edges.

     "Cade," I turn to face him. "Why are we here?"

     A slight smile forms on her face. "Look. Up there on that wall." He nods in the direction to the brick behind me.

     My eyebrows knit together and glance around the walls. "Where?" I ask, shrugging my shoulders. I wrap my arms around me tighter, getting colder by the minute; I didn't really expect to be outside much so I didn't bother grabbing a jacket or anything.

     Cade lets out a little annoyed sigh and takes his hand out of his pocket to point in a direction. "Right there."

     I turned in the direction he was pointing at and when I do, I am speechless.

     On the chipped away brick wall is a piece of art work plastered all over it. It has swirls of blue, pink, yellow, red and white blended in perfectly. The shading is down precisely and shows off as flawless skin. The long flowing hair fills the space around the smooth face using a mixture of all the colours. They all blend together to form a picture of a young girl, no one I have recognised before. On the bottom right corner is the word 'MANET' written in bold letters in white chalk.

     "You did that?" I ask Cade, breaking the comfortable silence we slipped into.

     "Yep." He replies simply, shoving his hands in his pockets and staring at the art work.

     "Who is she?" I blurt our without realising. I look over to Cade who I notice tenses a little when I ask.

     He shrugs and continues to stare at the art. "Doesn't matter."

     I bit my bottom lip a little, debating whether I should say what I want to next. "She must be important for you to paint something like this." I say my thoughts to him.

     He shifts uncomfortably in the spot he is standing in. He jaw tenses and his gaze drops to the floor. "She's not around anymore." He mutters, not looking up.