Chapter 2: Of Spies and Floating Palaces

"Spider-Man must be stopped! He is a menace to the public, and monster to society! I, J. Jonah. Jameson, refuse to rest until the authorities take the correct means of ridding us of this web-slinging trouble-maker!"

"Ugh, don't you ever shut up?" Peter asked the giant screen he was perched upon. The picture of a middle-aged(ish) man with a mustache (startlingly similar to Hitler's) continued his raving report about the "terrors of the masked vigilante, Spider-Man".

It was ridiculous really. This guy, who should rightly be referred to as J. Jonah Jerkface, made it a daily (or lifely - was that a thing) goal to make the citizens of New York hate Peter Parker - well, technically, to hate Spider-Man. The public didn't actually know Peter was Spider-Man, but they still inadvertently hated him too. He was just thankful that no one knew his secret I.D. (It's bad enough being hated as Spider-Man; if Peter Parker got trash thrown at him when he walked the streets as well as when he was web-slinging, than he was pretty sure that'd be the start of his villain-origin)

Really though, he wouldn't harm a fly! Burglars and crooks on the other hand...

Peter glared down at the screen and stuck his tongue at the giant news reporter, before pointing his wrist toward the closest building and shooting a web that latched sturdily on the wall. Without a second glance (or thought), Peter jumped off the jumbotron and swung through the air with his webs as his only means of not falling and going splat on the pavement.

Normal people walking on the sidewalks below stopped and pointed up to him, some of them shouted insults and threw trash at him, but others - Peter was thrilled to find - regarded him with a smile and a wave of greeting.

Granted there were more trash than smiles, but still! It was definitely a step-up from just trash and curses!

Despite the profanities yelled his way, Peter waved back to them all (mostly the ones waving to him) and whistled merrily as he continued his trek through the buildings. It was nice to know that his relationship with New York was steadily entering a positive area.

Looks like Mr. Let's-All-Hate-On-Spider-Man wasn't having that big of an impact anymore. Ha! Serves the toothbrush-mustache wearing editor right!

"Alright New York," Peter grinned, stopping momentarily on the edge of a building to scour the city rooftops. "What have you got planned for me today? Burglary? Purse-snatchers?" the sudden high-pitched wailing of police sirens answered. From where he stood - er clung - Peter could hear screeching tires, the slimy sound of gunk hitting into police cruisers, and crazy laughter.

"Ah, has Trapster decided to to take a stroll today." he hummed. "Alrightie, let's go say hi!" jumping from the building, Peter pin-pointed the direction of the commotion and set his sights for it. It didn't take long to get there.

Trapster stood in the center of the street, his hands clutching the mega-sized glue-guns, looking more like a greyish brown water gun, which spurted out thick tendrils of sticky, goop that took forever to wash out of your hair! (not your typical arts and crafts glue guns).

Some people said that Trapsters glue guns were similar to Spider-MAn's web-shooters - Peter greatly disagreed. His web-shooters are a beautiful and well-functioning piece of art and masterpiece, and he would shoot a web at anyone who dared make such a crude similarity of precious wrist-devices. Besides, he shot webs, not glue! There's a difference people!

Anyway, back to the fight, Trapster had shot a glob of glue at the approaching police cars, halting the officers dead in the street. Did it stop them? No. The officers rushed out of the cars and aimed their guns for their attacker, while smoothly finding cover from the crooks attacks behind their cars.