Choices

"I am so sorry." My father, Abraham, hung his head over the desk where my medical files were laid out.

"It's not your fault. It's theirs." I stood next to him and placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I was supposed to protect you. Zola had no right to inject you with the serum." He stood up and knocked everything off the desk. I stood back, my father was not an angry man. I was 18 and had never seen him lose his temper. "We are done here."

"What?" I frowned at him. Was he dismissing me?

"With this, with HYDRA."

"But...we can't just leave. They won't let us. And where would we go?" He had been a scientist for the organization since I could remember.

"We're going to America. I was contacted by the Scientific Strategic Reserve a while ago. The direction they are taking my work here...I can't stand by it. And now I find out they were experimenting on you. They stole my files, all of your confidential information." He took his glasses off.

"I'm sorry. Sorry that I'm different." I chewed on the inside of my cheek.

"I'm sorry that they look at you and see something to be used. Your differences are meant for more than a lab rat." He walked out and I sighed.

I started to pick up the contents of my medical files. The top sheet is what triggered this whole situation. Mostly the scribbled note at the bottom:

Subject: Avaliese Marie Erskine

DOB: 12/9/25

Subject presents with preternatural attributes incl.

Mentality Based

Innate capability/exceptional mentality- Can know and/or understand subjects without research or prior experience with subject. IQ is far above genius level.

ESP Based*

Empathy- Can sense and control others emotions (Most likely connected to level of IQ
Psychometry- Can sense details of objects and locations past (Possibly connected to latent emotional energy connected to objects and locations)

*I have administered the test serum to see the reaction on subjects natural abilities. Subject resists any mind control, brainwashing, memory manipulation when chemically induced-Z*

I shuddered to think what his next step in tampering with my mind would include. I didn't even know that's what Zola had given me. He said it was a vitamin shot, I had been so tired lately. Sensing others emotions got exhausting after a while. Trying to conceal the fact was worse.

Days passed, Abraham kept me in a sort of isolation. HYDRA would get no more of me. One evening he told me we were going out to dinner and a show. Instead we met soldiers who ushered us to America. They settled us in Queens. He went back to the project, the SSR had outstanding equipment. After a few years he began working with a very interesting man, Howard, on the mechanics needed to accompany the serum.

Eventually it was complete and we were ready for trials. I was considered father's nurse. Being a woman in the SSR wasn't easy. No one considered me my father's equal, little did they know I helped him and Howard through every step of the planning. I probably knew more than they did. But I hated the feeling. Still, it would've been nice to have some recognition. Really the only other women were secretaries. One day, a new recruit was making suggestive comments to me. A brunette overheard and joined us.

"All I was saying is a dame like you should be out looking for a good man to take care of her. Make her a good wife." It took all my effort to not roll my eyes into the back of my head, or make him suddenly feel like he needed to skip away like a schoolgirl. He reeked of sexual emotions, I could handle from the men as long as it wasn't directed at me.