Assembled

"And that's all you told him? 'Hello Rogers?'

"And that's all you told him? 'Hello Rogers?'. Dear friend if there was ever a time in a girl's life to dramatically rush to a man and kiss him...that would've been it." Peggy chuckled.

It was a few days after Steve re-animated. Since I was back in town I was getting some visits in while I could. Peggy lived in a beautiful house, she'd lived a beautiful life. I had just finished telling her everything. Starting with us meeting in the war. She had trouble remembering more and more. But she became animated as she would recall with me. Some days I was just the nice lady who told her stories.

"Seventy years is a long time. I thought I would play coy a little longer. I have to run but I'll visit again soon." I stood from my chair.

"Yes, do you ever wish you would age just to get some rest, Ava?" She smiled up at me. Her niece, Sharon, entered. Sharon was one of the few people who knew who I was. The fabricated story was that Ava Erskine had passed away, I was a distant relative who happened to have the same name and features. It sounded stupid as hell but it worked. How do you explain a non-aging enhanced empathetic manipulator? You can't.

"Actually, I do. Find a nice fella and settle down?" It was a private joke of ours. I would never settle down, Peggy and Howard had hounded me for years about it. The idea was nice but the execution was impossible.

"Go on. Enjoy the world." Peggy waved me away.

"She gives you the exact same speech as me." Sharon rolled her eyes. "Enjoying is not in an agent's schedule."

"Too true. How is she doing?"

"She has her good days and bad days."

"Call me if you need anything."

I left Peggy and drove to a large building under construction. It had to be the ugliest skyscraper in New York.

"Ava, good day." The private elevator greeted me.

"Sup Jarvis. Where is he?"

"Penthouse, you'll be there shortly."

The elevator doors opened into a vast living area with an amazing view. A pretty red-head was looking at a holographic schematic of the building we were in.

"Ava. Good. Will you look over this for me?"

"Of course, Pepper. You could've just sent it to my phone." I smiled as a dark haired man came in from the balcony.

Shouldn't you be checking in on the capsicle?" He jumped over the back of a couch and flopped onto the cushions.

"Tony, stop it." Pepper and I were putting our heads together over the specs.

"What? Most ladies would be thrilled with a perpetually stiff love interest." Tony shrugged.

"Well, at least Pepper will never have to deal with that. This all looks good, Pepper knows what she's doing. Nice place by the way. Ostentatious enough, is it?" I stood up and stretched.