Past and Present

"Where is he today?" Nat stretched out her arms

"Not sure. Jesus Nat, do you always go for the thigh takedown?" I ducked and Nat flew over me.

"It is effective...if you wouldn't use your magic to expect it." She stopped and frowned at me. "I hate that."

"Just because I can tell you have feelings. And it's not magic." I stuck my tongue out at her.

We were at SHIELD headquarters training. I was actually getting much better with hand-to-hand. I still liked my guns and my magic tricks. But branching out was good.

"So how is America's first superhero in bed?" The question threw me, so did Nat. I hit the ground and sat up with a huff.

"Really? You want me to ask about you and Barton?"

"Not if you want to see tomorrow." Nat glanced at her Widow's Bite cuffs in the corner. "One time in Budapest."

"Truce. I need to go home anyway. I got Steve something." I stood and went to grab my stuff.

Steve had been in DC for 2 years. We were still working on his catch-up list, as I called it. Movies, music, major events, pop culture.

I had learned that unless he was on a mission, he would be in my apartment. I got home and Steve was on my laptop. I saw he was reading about the Commandos, seeing what happened to them. He shut the computer and smiled at me.

"Hey. Good work out?" He got up and grabbed my gym bag, tossing it onto a chair. He hugged me and I was enveloped by his anxiety. He needed to touch someone tangible, he'd spent the afternoon with too many ghosts.

"I will never be a master assassin. But I'm no slouch." I hugged him back.

"Tony called. He wants you in New York next week to look at the tower's progress. Something about an extra lab for him and Banner interspersed with insults to my age." He kissed my head and patted my back.

"That works. We haven't been there in a while. I got you something." I held up a padded computer bag.

"What is this for?" Steve eyed the laptop I pulled out. He had made peace with his phone from SHIELD but still preferred the old fashioned. He only used my laptop and the tablets at SHIELD if required.

"This is for so many things. But mostly for..." I pulled up a sketchpad program and folded the laptop into a tablet. I drew something stupid and animated it. Steve's eyes lit up.

"Wow."

"Tony helped me with it. Pretty intuitive and also voice activated. Play ACDC." I asked the computer. It obliged. "Tony picked most of the music. But it also has some older stuff. Play Elvis. See?"

"What's the occasion?"

"Our two year anniversary was last month. We both forgot."

"Shit." Steve frowned. "I was in Crete wasn't I?"