Soldier On

I boarded the quinjet with time to spare

I boarded the quinjet with time to spare. I had kissed Steve goodbye and promised to contact him as soon as I could. I settled into my seat and picked up the intel folder left for me as we ascended.

My mind was still with Steve. It was stupid how much I missed him already. But all the other missions were quick work. Pierce had warned me I could be gone for up to a month. They had discovered a HYDRA facility in Siberia. I was needed to sift through the records and document everything. I tried to focus on my information.

"The Winter Soldier Program...oh my God." I muttered to myself. This was huge, no wonder Pierce insisted on absolute confidentiality.

I felt something bite the back of my neck and my vision started to darken. I opened my mouth to say something, but fainted before I could.

"Agent Erskine?" A voice was sliding through the fog. There was a light behind my eyelids that made me turn my head to the side.

"Agent, I'm afraid you've had an accident. But don't worry. You're fine." The faceless voice seemed to be slower than normal.

"Where-" I tried to open my eyes. But they were so tired, everything was so heavy.

"We can talk later. Rest now. Increase the sedative."

A warmth spread over my body. I felt very content. I also realized I didn't feel anything else. I couldn't feel the doctors emotions. How nice.

"We need to start the treatments." A new voice joined the other. I knew this voice. But it wasn't important. I was going to a USO dance with Steve. I wish they'd stop talking so I could hear the music better.

"It took us years to break the asset. How do you expect results within a month?" Professor Voice said.

"Because Zola already laid the groundwork for her. The sedative is obviously working, so the serum he designed should do the same." Familiar Voice was getting frustrated.

"The serum won't be enough. Wiping and programming takes time. She needs a trigger, training-" Professor Voice was getting frustrated too. I heard him sigh heavily.

"Do you realize the immensity of this project? HYDRA has gained enough of a foothold, finally. We can smoothly take over SHIELD and eliminate the threats." Familiar Voice mentioned HYDRA...and earlier Zola. Was I back in Germany?

"I don't understand why we had to do this now. There would be time to get her after-"

"After what? Do you think that there won't be resistance? She and Rogers would be gone, we wouldn't get another chance at her. We need her for the next step. She needs to be working for us." Familiar Voice knows Steve. So, not Germany.

"We'll do what we can. Zola was never able to wipe her, we'll have to focus on programming." Duh, Professor Voice, Zola knew he would never be able to wipe my mind. He had other plans. Do you not have his original treatment?