CHAPTER 2

A rickshaw stopped in front of a posh Bungalow and a young man, in his early twenties, climbed down the rickshaw, he then moved his luggage off it.

He paid and walked in through the huge gate carrying with him his luggage.

'Oh, my God! Bhaiya!' a young woman, aged seventeen, gushed happily seeing her elder brother. She held her brother's hand and kissed the back of his palm, 'I am so happy, I missed you much.'

'I missed you too, Choti!' he said caressing her head lovingly.

'Faizaan! What a surprise?' a young man in his mid-twenties greeted Faizaan.

'Feroz Bhaijan!' Faizaan hugged his elder brother. The young woman rushed in the kitchen to get her mother.

Her mother was in the kitchen supervising the cook, she frowned hearing her daughter's over-excited voice.

'What is it Fouzia?' she said rolling her eyes.

'Ammi! Faizaan Bhaijan is here.' Fouzia squealed happily. Her mother felt her heart beat stop for a second.

Faizaan had left to pursue his law degree three years ago, it was the first time his mother had him away from her eyesight. Once a year he used to come and rest of the time she used to be content reading and then re-reading his letters.

She quickly adjusted her Pallu over her head and hurried out from the kitchen.

'My Bacha.' She hugged Faizaan tightly, she kissed him all over his face and head. She began crying. Faizaan smiled and wiped her tears, 'No Ammi. Please don't cry. I am here now.' he consoled her.

'Promise, you won't go again.' She said innocently.

'Promise.' Faizaan nodded.

'Faizaan.' Everyone froze hearing a booming voice. Fouzia and her mother quickly composed themselves, wiping their tears and adjusting their dupatta.

Faizaan's father walked towards them, his posture confident. With his walk, itself he commanded respect.

Faizaan smiled at his father politely. His father patted his shoulder, 'Welcome back, son.'

'Thank you, Abbu.' He said formally.

Faizaan's mother had scrapped the lunch that was being made and ordered the cook to make Faizaan's favorite cuisine, Biryani for lunch and Phirni for deserts. Faizaan entered his room and is pleasantly surprised to see that it is the same as it was when he had left it. The servants had his luggage brought in for him. He quickly showered and dressed in a simple white Kurtha pajama and came out for lunch.

By the time, Faizaan had finished having lunch, he was sure his stomach would explode. His mother forced him some more but his father saved him. His mother never argues with her husband so hesitantly let go of Faizaan. He looked gratefully at his father.

***************

That evening, Faizaan woke up after a long nap. The bus journey from Aligarh to Lucknow tired him. Sleeping on the hard and uncomfortable bed back in the hostel Faizaan slept peacefully in his own bed. No matter where he slept, the comfort sleep he couldn't sleep peacefully anywhere else.

Faizaan woke up fresh and relaxed, he felt rejuvenated. He yawned and stretched when he heard a knock.

'Come in.'

His elder brother, Feroz poked his head into the room, 'Faizaan! Come have snacks and tea. Choti has made samosas.' He smiled widely.

'God save my stomach.' Faizaan joked and the two men laughed together.

As Faizaan sat with his family for tea and snacks, he didn't know that he was in for a shock that will be changing his life forever.

'Beta, we have fixed your alliance.' Faizaan chocked on his tea as his father said so. He looked at his father wide-eyed. He wasn't ready for a marriage not for now at least but he can't argue with his father and so he kept silent.

Faizaan's mother had brought the alliance, someone in her close friend's circle has suggested the alliance. She primarily agreed for the marriage thinking about the dowry the girl will bring with her. She knew that if she said this to Faizaan directly he might disagree for the alliance so she cleverly made her husband speak.

'Your mother and your Khala, Shazia will go to see the girl tomorrow.' His father announced placing his tea cup on the table. Faizaan kept gaping at his father, confused.

'What happened, you look confused?' Feroz asked his younger brother when the two men sat alone in the study later that night.

Feroz is also a lawyer, he took Faizaan to his study to show him his collection of books. He decided to work while Faizaan took a book for a read. As Feroz worked he noticed Faizaan lost in deep thought.

'Bhaijan, Marriage? Isn't it early?' he asked looking at his brother.

Feroz smiled and placed his palm on his shoulder, 'My dear brother. Marriage is a part of life, sooner or later it has to happen. And it is good it happens early. You will have a wife with you, a friend to share everything with. She will also pamper you, take care of you. You will be the boss. It couldn't get better. Now, look at me. I married Samreen when I was your age. And see how happy I am. Relax! You will enjoy your married life.' Feroz explained.

Faizaan nodded thoughtfully, the way his elder brother explained it- marriage doesn't sound that bad. He then smiled at his silliness, "it will be fun" he mentally told himself.