CHAPTER 4

Amreen sat as a dolled-up bride on a well decorated bed. She felt nervous as she fidgeted with her fingers, her face covered with a veil.

In the quiet room, all she could hear is the thudding sound of her rapidly beating heart. Tonight, is her wedding night and tonight for the first time she will be seeing her husband.

She is filled with mixed emotions- How will her husband be? Is he good looking? Her cousins said he is very handsome and tall.

How will she talk to him? What will she talk to him? At one point Amreen wanted to run away. Slowly she lifted her head and looked through her veil- a window.

Her heart skipped a beat as the door to the room opened- her husband is here.

As Faizaan walked towards the room he felt anxious, excited, many thoughts ran in his head- How will his bride be? What will he talk to her?

His hands trembled as he twisted the door knob and entered. What he saw next took his breath away.

His bride sitting on the rosy bed looked beautiful, he smiled to himself.

He walked towards her, she shifted nervously. He knew she was nervous, he was too. But he is excited as well. Tonight, he will talk to her, get to know her. He sat beside her, he saw her fingers tremble little. She has beautiful long fingers, Faizaan's smile widened.

Amreen's heart was in her mouth as she saw his fingers under her veil, slowly he lifted her veil and she closed her eyes out of shyness and nervousness.

'Amreen.' He said. Amreen's heart fluttered hearing his voice, such deep and intense voice. Slowly she opened her eyes and for the first time, Faizaan and Amreen looked at each other.

Faizaan's dark eyes met her chocolate brown ones and they felt sparks fly, something they had seen only in movies. Faizaan looked at her, Amreen had beautiful features- Almond shaped chocolate brown eyes, sharp cute nose, rosy thin lips, and flawless skin.

Amreen felt shy and looked away. Faizaan blinked at her, she is even more beautiful than he had been imagining.

With Amreen's head lowered and Faizaan looking everywhere but her there is silence and a little awkwardness between them. After a while Faizaan decided to break the silence, he cleared his throat and Amreen stiffened.

'How was the journey? You were comfortable?' Faizaan asked softly.

Amreen nodded her head not meeting his gaze. Faizaan looked at her hand and is tempted to hold it but resisted himself, he didn't want to scare his bride on the first night itself.

'You change first I will change after you.' he said standing up. Amreen nodded once again and slowly climbed down the bed. Faizaan can sense her nervousness and so he maintained his distance from her. Amreen smiled little seeing his considerate side.

'I have to...Ammi had said to give her the jewelry. Where shall I keep it?' Amreen asked meekly after she had removed her jewelry. Faizaan looked at her and then at the jewelry. Knowing his mother very well he shook his head.

'You don't have to give it to her, give it to me and I will keep in the locker in this room.' Faizaan said extending his hand.

Amreen wanted to refuse stating her mother-in-law had asked to give it to her but she couldn't, she was scared to say anything thinking he might get angry. Faizaan smiled 'Don't worry, I will speak to Ammi.' He assured her.

Amreen hesitantly handed him the jewelry. She watched him walk towards a cupboard. There are two cupboards, one looked old and one brand new. Faizaan opened the new cupboard. There is a small locker in it, he kept the jewelry neatly inside it and locked it. He then turned around and Amreen quickly lowered her head. Faizaan smiled as he had caught her looking at him. He forwarded the keys to her, 'That new cupboard is yours and this key will be with you. Keep your stuff in them and one important thing. No matter what anyone says don't give your jewelry or things to anyone. It is your husband's order, Okay?' Faizaan said, he added the last line to sound serious. Amreen nodded obediently.

Amreen changed into her night clothes, loose yellow kurtha and pajama. She left her hair open and entered her room. Faizaan had been sitting on the bed ready to change after her. As he looked at her, he found her more beautiful with her long straight tresses open and resting on one side of her shoulder. Amreen felt shy with his gaze and looked away. Faizaan realized he had been staring at her, so he quickly stood up looking away.

'You must be tired, you sleep. Okay.' He said and disappeared inside the bathroom. Amreen looked around nervously before climbing on the bed. She lay cuddling herself in the extreme corner of the bed. She felt butterflies inside her stomach as she thought of Faizaan lying next to her. Her thoughts wandering to, "many things", her cousins had said.

A while later, Amreen closed her eyes shut hearing the door of the bathroom open. Faizaan looked at her sleeping figure and smiled thinking she slept off. He placed his towel at the back of the chair. He shook his head when he noticed Amreen had slept without the blanket. He gently covered her with a blanket and lay on his side.

Amreen smiled feeling the blanket over her, she wanted to turn around and thank him but she couldn't, she felt shy. She decided to thank him the next day. Faizaan stared up at the ceiling, his one hand on his chest and one resting on his forehead. After a while he felt his eyes lids shutting and decided to fall asleep. Amreen couldn't sleep with many thoughts running in her head, but due to tiredness and excessive crying she felt her head heavy. Slowly, she closed her eyes.

Tomorrow will be a new beginning in Faizaan and Amreen's life as tomorrow they will be starting their journey as a married couple.