CHAPTER 14

Two days later,

Faizaan came home after work, he saw Amreen sitting on the bed. She seemed to be engrossed in reading a novel. He walked towards her, he stood in front of her. But she didn't look up. He frowned.

Few seconds later, he cleared his throat and Amreen looked up.

'You came...Sorry...I was...' she said placing her novel down and quickly climbing down.

'I will...get your night clothes.' Amreen said hurrying towards the cupboard. She mentally cursed herself, how can she be so careless. Since, they were married this is the first time Amreen hasn't kept his things ready. The stupid novel, Amreen cursed the novel.

Faizaan picked up the novel and flipped through its pages.

****************

After dinner, Faizaan freshened up when he came back into the room he saw Amreen making the bed, he noticed her glancing repeatedly at the novel placed on the bedside table. Faizaan smiled. He walked towards the table and Amreen quickly looked away.

'What is the story about?' Faizaan asked.

'It is very interesting, if you want I can narrate you whatever I read.' She said excitedly fixing her dupatta on her shoulder.

'yes please.' Faizaan sounded genuinely interested. Amreen smiled widely and sat on the bed opposite Faizaan, she folded and tugged her legs under her and began narrating the story happily. Faizaan listened little of it but then he found himself lost in her. Amreen looked so beautiful, in fact from few days Faizaan noticed her glowing. He admired her twinkling eyes and her lips moving as she spoke about something that made her truly happy. Faizaan frowned, as he realized, he has said so much about himself but never truly know what are Amreen's favorites.

'You are listening na!' Amreen pouted.

'Huh! Yes... please go on.' Faizaan is startled little but quickly.

******************

Next day,

'Amreen. See what I have for you.' Faizaan said happily after he had come from work.

'What is it?' Amreen asked happily.

Faizaan opened his briefcase and took out a novel and forwarded it to Amreen. She bit her lower-lip looking at the English Novel.

'What happened? This is the best detective novel. You will like it.' Faizaan said with a smile. Amreen simply took the book, she is clueless. Also, she is feeling ashamed to tell him that she is a big Zero when it comes to English.

'Amreen?' Faizaan sounded disappointed.

Amreen looked at him, 'I am sure it will be nice.' She said. Faizaan held her shoulder and smiled at her.

'Yes, it is.' He said, but his smile faded when he noticed she looked sad. He placed his fingers under her chin and made her look at him. Hesitantly, she looked back into his eyes.

Amreen's eyes filled with tears and she began to cry. Faizaan panicked wondering if he said something wrong.

'Hey! Amreen...love, what happened?' Faizaan sounded wondered. Amreen doesn't answer she dropped the book and hugged him, clenching him tight. Faizaan is confused and very worried, he caressed her back trying to calm her.

'I...am...sorry...'she sobbed.

Faizaan separated their frames and made her look at him. She sniffed, tears flowing from her eyes.

'I...can't...read...English...' she cried.

Faizaan took a second to understand why she was crying? When he realized the reason, he began laughing.

Amreen stopped crying and looked confusingly at her husband. Faizaan laughed for some time, before stopping.

He placed his palm on her shoulder, 'What is there to cry so much for this?' he chuckled.

Amreen frowned, she found this offensive. She turned to her side and folded her arms across her chest.

'Acha, sorry! But you should have told me earlier?' he said

Amreen lowered her head feeling embarrassed. Faizaan held her shoulder and titled his head little to look at her, 'I am your husband, Haina? you can tell me everything. See, I fear cockroaches. You had laughed at me so much when I told you, remember (Amreen smiled through her tears) but I wasn't embarrassed. Because it was you, my wife.'

Amreen felt better hearing this.

'Don't' worry. I will teach you. Okay?' Faizaan said with a smile. Amreen nodded.

'Now, smile please.' Faizaan said holding her hand. Amreen looked at him and smiled.

"Thank you." she had wanted to say but didn't, her smile conveyed it to him.

Faizaan pulled her closer and hugged her, she hugged him back. Amreen is excited now, excited to learn a new language. She is also going to be first girl in her family to know English, she promised herself to make her husband and her Uncle Aunt proud of her.