The Next Day

The sun was shining through the window casting small shadows around the bedroom.

Nick peeked his eyes open once the light hit his face. After a sleepless night, he wasn't ready to get up. He still had to tell Charlie what Abby had said.

Charlie mumbled something and rolled onto her stomach besides Nick.

Nick turned his head to look at her and rubbed her back.

Charlie moved around a lot in her sleep. She also seemed to be having nightmares most of the night. Nick was worried she would start crying or need something so he didn't sleep much.

She groaned again and turned over so that she was facing Nick. Her eyes slowly flickered open.

"Good morning." Nick smiled. The bruising around her eye looked worse, but her eyes weren't glazed over so he figured they were making progress.

Charlie looked at him and then closed her eyes again.

"Are you okay?" He brushed a strand of hair from her face.

She shook her head.

"Then what I'm going to tell you isn't going to make you feel better." Nick lowered his gaze.

Charlie pulled the covers up and covered her face.

"Abby needs you to go to the police station today to give a statement." He waited for her response. He waited for her to cry. He waited for her to scream.

Instead, Charlie took a deep breath.

Nick watched without words as Charlie slipped out of bed and found some clothes to change into.

"I guess I'll make some breakfast." He said to himself as he threw off his covers.

•••

"There they are." Nick turned off the car as Charlie stared out of the window.

Sarah, Maya, and Abby were all walking towards the police station. They each looked nervous, but Abby looked the most scared.

Nick opened the door for Charlie and grabbed her hand as she climbed out. He was going to let go as they got closer to the group for Sarah's sake, but Charlie held on for dear life.

"Thank you." Abby hugged Charlie, but it wasn't returned.

"Let's just get this over with." Nick tugged Charlie towards the doors.

Maya and Sarah quietly followed in behind Abby.

Before long, Charlie was sitting in a room with an investigator while the others watched and listened from the next room over.

Maya felt like she was in one of those movies, but she kept her mouth shut.

Sarah wanted to see how Nick was doing so she kept stealing glances at him, and then feeling guilty when his eyes never left Charlie. How could she be thinking about her own feelings while Charlie was going through something like this?

Abby rung her hands. She switched from leaning on one foot to the other. She chewed her cheek. She paced.

"Thank you for meeting with me today, Ms. Walker." The investigator smiled kindly.

Charlie liked that he had kind eyes.

"Would you mind telling me what happened that day?" He folded his hands on the table and leaned forward.