Epilogue

"Maya baked three cakes, Sarah cleaned the entire house, and Abby bought a puppy." Nick scratched his head and smiled.

"Why did she buy a puppy?" Charlie nervously gripped the steering wheel, but she sounded perfectly fine.

"She thought it would make you happy." Nick looked at Charlie from the passenger seat.

"That's sweet. She makes me happy. You all make me happy." Charlie coughed and smiled.

"It's been six months, Charlie." Nick wanted to ask her so many questions. Why did she leave? Why did she wait so long to come back?

"I know." Charlie had only meant to be gone for a couple weeks. "Did I miss a lot?"

"Well..." Nick laughed. "Sarah and I actually started dating."

"What?" Charlie screamed in the small car.

"It's only been a few weeks." Nick chuckled. "Also, Maya got a promotion. She doesn't burn stuff as often."

"Wow. What else?" Charlie turned the car into the neighborhood.

"I moved back in about a month ago. I was getting tired of not seeing everyone as much." Nick stretched and sat up straighter in his seat.

"That's great." Charlie's grip had slowly loosened from the steering wheel as they talked. She was worried Nick would hate her. She had walked out on him and all of her friends.

She was surprised he'd even agreed to come pick her up from the airport.

"What happened with you? How have you been?" Nick asked as they pulled into the driveway.

"I've been good. Great, actually. I did a lot of... I've just been... I'm good." Charlie parked the car and turned off the engine.

"Are you okay?" Nick watched Charlie unbuckle and lean back into her seat.

"I'm nervous." Charlie confessed quietly. "Aren't you guys mad at me?"

"Nobody is mad at you, Charlie. We're all just so glad that you're back." Nick reached over the console and grabbed one of Charlie's hands.

"I'm so sorry, Nick. I wanted to call you. I really did." Charlie stared down at their joined hands.

She had missed him the most. He was her best friend. She loved him so much and leaving him had really hurt.

"It's okay." Nick let go of her hand. He thought he didn't have feelings for her anymore, but this car ride alone was enough to bring it all back. He thought of Sarah.

Charlie cleared her throat and fixed her hair with her hands. "Well, let's get inside."

"I'll grab your bags from the back." Nick got out of the car and went to the trunk.

Charlie looked at herself in the reflection of the rear view mirror. She wanted to look presentable for her friends.

She looked a little different from the last time they'd seen her. Her hair was longer. Her eyes didn't hold as much life as they used to, but hopefully moving back in with her friends would help. She didn't have any cuts or bruises covering her body, except for a scab on her knee from where she tripped a few days ago.

"Are you ready?" Nick opened Charlie's car door for her with his free hand.

"Yeah." Charlie got out of the car and walked with Nick to the front door.

Nick was going to knock but decided to wait for Charlie to do it herself.

Charlie wondered how her friends would react with her being back. She'd seen a therapist while she was living with her parents in Georgia and knew she was ready for this.

With Nick by her side and the past behind them, Charlie drew in a deep breath and knocked on the door.

"Hey."

A/N: Thanks so much for sticking around and reading this little short story! It's finally over... But I've got a couple more stories I'm working on for the future. It will be a while before they're ready, so just let the anticipation build I guess. Much love <3