Later Today

Charlie still hadn't said anything.

Nick had brought her stuff in and put it into the guest bedroom down the hall from his own room. He made sure the room looked presentable enough for her to stay in and then went back to where he had left her.

"It's still pretty early. I don't think you want to lay down yet. How about a show?" Nick grabbed Charlie's hand and walked her into the living room. She sat down and he made sure there was a blanket close by in case she got cold or just needed something to hold onto.

"Any preference?" Nick turned on the TV and looked through the guide. He couldn't find anything he liked, but he found a stupid cartoon Charlie would've liked.

Every once in a while, Nick glanced at Charlie to see if she was okay. Every time, her expression was the same. Her eyes were glazed over looking somewhere beyond the cartoon and her body was as still as a statue.

He was worried. He'd never seen her like this before. Not even when her twelve year old dog passed away a few years ago. That had been rough, but somehow Charlie had pulled through stronger than anyone expected.

He looked at her again, worry etched into his expression.

Charlie suddenly turned her head and stared at Nick and he stared at her. She didn't say anything. She didn't frown. She didn't smile. She didn't cry. She didn't laugh.

He wanted to believe that he could read her mind and help her however she needed, but she wasn't giving anything away. "It's going to be okay, Charlie."

To Nick's surprise, she simply shook her head a few times and stood up from the couch.

He thought about following her, but figured she might just want some time alone. He listened to find out what she was doing and only heard the door to the guest bedroom close.

Charlie moved the bag of clothes off of the bed and climbed on top of the sheets. She collapsed onto her back and stared up at the ceiling.

She didn't move. She didn't think. She didn't sleep.

•••

Almost two hours later, Nick was putting his bowl into the sink.

He had offered to cook something for Charlie or go get anything she wanted, but she had simply shaken her head no and stayed in bed. So, he made himself a bowl of cereal.

It was dark outside, but not quite time to go to sleep. He was feeling anxious and nervous and worried. He wanted to go for a run, but he couldn't leave Charlie. He knew he should've listened to Maya when she was helping him move in one day. She had mentioned that he would want some sort of gym like the one they had at home. Now he wished he had at least gotten a treadmill or something.

Nick tried to get his mind off of a stupid treadmill and walked to the guest bedroom.

"Charlie?" He knocked.

No answer.

He went to turn the knob, but it was locked. Panic immediately shot down his spine.

"Charlie, please open the door." He knocked louder than last time just in case she hadn't heard.

No answer.

He pulled his phone from his pocket and called the first person he could think of.

"What?" Maya picked up on the seventh ring.

"Charlie's locked herself in the guest bedroom and I can't get in. What do I do?" He dropped onto the floor and tried peeking under the door, but he couldn't see anything.

"Isn't there a window in the guest bedroom?" Maya sounded annoyed, but deep down she was worried.

"Thanks." He hung up and left his phone on the ground in his rush to get outside. He rounded the corners of his small house until he was at the window to his guest bedroom.

The curtains were closed, so he prayed and pulled up on the window.

It cracked open.

With a huge breath of relief, Nick opened the window wider and climbed inside.

"Charlie..." He looked around the room and fought the urge to run to her side.

A vase that had been holding fake flowers lay broken on the floor. The clothes from her bag had been thrown around her room.

Nick stood by the window as he stared at Charlie.

She was in the corner of the room by the bedroom door. Her legs were pulled up to her chest and she was holding them close.

"It's okay." He walked past the mess and sat down on the floor across from her.

Her eyes were red, but she hadn't been crying. Every time she closed her eyes she saw Benjamin coming after her. Then she would rub her eyes and try to keep them open.

Nick eventually got up and put her clothes back in her bag and cleaned up the broken vase.

Charlie watched and said nothing.

A/N: Thanks so much for reading. Don't forget to vote and comment!