Chapter 8: The changes begin.

Edited by @ILoveYouCarissa

*********************************

Sara's POV

How much time has gone by? Am I dead yet?

I could feel things around me. Surely that doesn't mean I'm dead. With my eyes closed and with the little consciousness that I had in me, I could feel the soft fabric of a bed.

From the footsteps and rustling of the fabric, I could tell that, there were a few people in the same room as me. I was too afraid to open my eyes, too afraid to find extremely undesirable people around me.

Probably more vampires? Or perhaps the vampire who attacked me?

But what happened? How come I'm still alive?

"Nothing much. He said she'll be okay in a while. Just a stress attack. Her brain couldn't handle it."

I got startled at the sudden voice, but I tried to remain compose.

"Naturally," an unmistakably well recognized voice said dangerously, getting close.

Austin.

He's here! He's here to kill me, probably something the other vampire couldn't do for some unfathomable unknown reason.

I'm going to die, probably once again!

"Who was that guy, by the way?" It had to be Liza this time. Her husky voice is something which never goes unnoticed.

"Some Victor, I don't know. He was there to hunt Sara down. Breach of rules. Guardian never cared to tell him about the rules. The usual crap," Austin said in a bored tone.

That guy was there to hunt me down. Can they talk about this more casually?

Wait a second! Rules? Guardian? Usual crap? What’s going on here? Didn’t they send him to kill me in the first place?

"Are you guys dumb? You really think that guy was telling the truth?" Liza literally barked the words out at Austin. I could feel goosebumps rising on my hand. The atmosphere was getting tensed.

"What do you mean?" Ryan's voice came from quite far away.

"I could smell a new vampire's scent all day, which you both were too busy to recognise!"

"That's because Austin was too careless to....”

"But I told you it’s not my mistake!"

"Oh, please, the two of you! Stop bickering like small kids! We have important matter at hand," Liza said, finally shutting the other two up. She waited for few seconds before continuing, “I felt it too near to the school. Usually, no new vampire enters this city without our permission, so I was worried regarding any attack."

Austin and Ryan didn't dare interrupt her this time. They were gripped to her story the same way I was. It was making very little sense to me, but I was hooked at every word that she was uttering.

"I went to search for him as soon as we left from Mrs. Parks office. I was following the trail, but he was roaming around the entire city, completely picking random places without making any noticeable pattern. It seemed like he was doing it on purpose, as if he knew someone was trailing him, so he was trying to confuse his tracker, in that case, me."

She stopped for a fraction of a second. I let the strange words sink in as I tried to understand it all.

"He got me confused a lot of times. As a result, when I reached Sara's place, he was already gone. I could smell all of your scents, too. This got me really tensed."

"But that doesn't mean…”

"No, it does mean that he wasn't there for hunting. He had some reason! Ryan, try to understand this. It's something very fishy."

"Yes." After staying silent for all this time, Austin spoke up. "There were so many people on the street. He could have had any of them. He also skipped the first three floors. If he wanted to hunt, he could have had anyone living on those floors. But no, he chose fourth floor in the entire building."

"You know, I have so many questions buzzing in my head. Your colors are adding up to my tension, Austin! We need to discuss this situation at home."

"We can't leave her. I don't know why she was chosen to be attacked by some stranger.  I think we shouldn't let her leave the hospital all alone.

"We’re taking her home with us."

Liza's words sunk deep in me.

Shit! No way! Well, according to them, I'm in a grave danger outside, but I'm in no less danger with them. I gotta do something! NOW!

"You know that you're sweating, right? We know you're up," Ryan said coolly from his place which happened to be quite far from my bed.

My cover was out. I couldn't pretend any longer. I slowly opened my eyes to bright white light. I found Ryan standing near the door right in front of me. Liza was at a slight distance from Ryan. My eyes wandered to the place where Austin's voice was coming from. He was seated right beside my bed. As a reflex, I shifted quickly in bed, making as much distance from him as possible.

I don't know why, but this really amused Ryan as he burst out into a laughing fit. Liza, too, was trying to suppress her emotion in the form of a tight smile. Austin sneered at both of them and then turned his gaze towards me.

"No!" was all I could blurt out in front of his unwavering gaze.

"What, no?"

"I'm not coming with you all!" It was supposed to come out as a statement full of determination, but instead, it came out more like pleading.

"We never asked your opinion, Sara," Ryan said, still laughing. "We're taking you home!"

In that moment, I knew that my life wasn't in my control now.

My life had changed. I was now in control of the ...Vampires.

Liza walked towards me with a sweet smile, which I so didn't expect from a vampire!

"Welcome, Sara," was all she said.

***********************************

Author's Note:

Soooooooo?? What do you all think? Are you excited about the twist in Sara's life?

I want to know, honestly, what my readers think about Ryan and Liza. What kind of character do you think they have? Let's see how far you all get it right ;)

Peace out!