Chapter 18

Brooklyn POV

We've been sitting in silence for what seems like forever. August hasn't said a word to me since he picked me up from the hospital and I'm too scared to open my mouth first.

I could tell by his body language and his demeanor he was still pissed at me. My eyes studied him as he sat across his bedroom in a chair in the corner.

His eyes were focused on a fame he held in his hands , I wanted to know who it was a picture of but I chose to stay quiet.

"My mama would've luv'd you."

His words caught me off guard. I knew his mother meant the world to him and to say she would have liked me warmed my heart.

"You remind me of her. Strong minded yet so fuckin' stubborn. Huge heart but it's shielded by hurt and anger."

I watched as he made his way over to me , sitting in the bed next to me.

He handed me the picture fame.

Wow his mother is so pretty.

You could see the happiness and love in their eyes. Now August smile barely his eyes.

Time and lost changes people.

"When I was a kid my pops use to beat on my mama. I mean sometimes to point she could barely move. I was a Yungin' but Trav and Mel use to try to help but they really couldn't do shit."

He took a deep breath before continuing.

"As I got older my pops he..he um got addicted to coke. Da abuse got worse my mama got more depressed. He started cheatin' doing all dis wild shit. By now Trav and Mel moved out so it was just me. I was 16 when I started seeing a difference in her but I just thought she tired."

For some reason my hands started to sweat as he told me about his past.

"It wasn't til Mel died dat I found out she was sick. At da funeral when we was saying our goodbyes mama dropped to da ground. At first I thought it was just too much for her to handle. So I wrapped my arms around her. Dats when she started shakin' , I ain't know what to do I ain't even fuckin' no what was going on. We ended up gettin' her to da hospital dats where she told me and Trav she had Aids."

I gasped in shock.

My hands quickly covered my mouth.

"I'm sorry , I shouldn't-"

"It's cool lul baybeh. Dat was my reaction too , dat ain't da killer part doe. Still all dat cheatin' my pops was out there doin' and all da needles he was using some how he got dat shit and gave dat shit to my mama...my queen."