Next time will be different

Victor was in a state of regret. He sat by the window on the bus and didn't care if he was to get a concussion from resting his head against the glass as it rattled. He constantly replayed in his mind what he said to Yuri.

'I won't have any underwear'

Victor tried his best to push it to the side. Yuri was sat quietly beside him and didn't seem bothered by what he had said. It even seemed like an insult that he didn't laugh awkwardly or even say:

'Victor, you didn't have to tell me that'

Unless Yuri was good at keeping up appearances. Now that was something Victor was forcefully pushing to the side and holding back the nauseating feeling of being judged harshly. Victor wanted to talk to him to take his mind off of it but it could easily lead to the most forced conversation the world has ever seen. As he stressed, the bus suddenly hit a bump in the road which caused Victor to bang his forehead off the window. He sat up and let out a groan of discomfort while rubbing the sore area.

"Are you okay?"

Victor turned to a concerned looking Yuri and nodded.

"I've had worse. Mostly due to skating"

Victor could see a slight look of interest on Yuri's face. He stopped soothing the pain and fixed his hair.

"Want to know what happened? I can tell you want to" He smiled.

"No it's okay! You don't have to tell me!"

"Well, I was going to tell you eventually anyway" Victor felt an excited pang in his chest knowing, he would still be friends with Yuri in the future.

"Yeah, you're right" He smiled.

"The usual happened at the start where I'd just fall back and get back up again. As I was getting better and more bolder, I wanted to try out some of the jumps my favourite skaters would do. And of course, even when it was the easier ones, I fell. Only this time I smashed my face onto the ice, my lip burst and there was blood everywhere"

Victor found Yuri's widened eyes in shock very amusing.

"Then, as I got better and better, I could do the easier jumps and other things like that without falling. Although, and I don't even know what happened it was all so fast, an amateur skater crashed into me" Victor held up the back of his right hand to Yuri "One of their skates sliced my hand and I landed in such a way that I broke my leg.

Victor felt bad that he was still amused at Yuri's expression.

"And this didn't deter you at all?"

Victor shook his head.

"I love ice skating too much to let something like that take me away from it. I did cry over my leg not because it was broken but over the possible fact that I might not skate again. But that in the end was just a paranoid thought"

Yuri admired Victor's resilience.

"Your body must be really good" Yuri chuckled before his eyes went wide and his arms flailed in panic "I'm so sorry that came out the wrong way!"

Victor put up his hand and shook his head.

"It's okay, I appreciate it"

Yuri pressed his forehead against the back of the chair in front of him feeling ashamed. Victor hid his smile behind his hand and sat back comfortably in his seat. That comment, even if it was a mistake, boosted his confidence. Yuri sat back up and looked out the window.

"Oh we're here now!"

The bus came to a halt and the two stepped off it. The walked to a parking lot near the stop and Yuri looked around and there he saw his mother's car waiting for them. Victor felt a little bit of excitement as they made there way over. He was meeting Yuri's family. Something he thought would happen much later on. Yuri opened the back door for Victor in which he slid into the back seat. Victor put on his seat belt and as soon as he did, he was startled when Yuri got into the back seat with him. It was bad enough that he was shoulder to shoulder on the bus with him but he had the choice to sit in the front but chose the back. Yuri's mother looked at Victor in the rear-view mirror.