The Unexpected Task

CHAPTER NINETEEN

"This could have been just another day

But instead were standing here

No need for words, it's all been said"—No ordinary love, mymp

In the end, he beat Potter by one point. Kakaroff gave him a three, which lead to thirty-nine points in total. Putting all personal feelings for Potter aside, Draco felt the points were unfairly given. Potter summoned his broom for the first task and competed with some spectacular flying. Even Draco was impressed, though he was left feeling a little down, because he didn't think of it himself. However, his father would be proud.

But he had more important things to worry about. Like the fact that he couldn't actually remember half of the fight with the dragon. Somewhere during the time between the dragon's fangs ripping off the skin of his leg and him narrowly avoiding being smashed by its tail, Draco blacked out. Next thing he knew, he was sitting in the Champions' tent clutching a golden egg with forty points given for spells he had no memory casting. He and Theo had only worked on the replicating spell. He knew nothing about an Immobulus or a healing spell.

Hermione and Weasley met Potter in the hospital unit after his match. Apparently the Horntail took a swipe at his shoulder. The injury was nowhere near as bad as Draco's.

Draco was not eavesdropping, Weasley was yelling so hard the whole tent could hear it. In all the confusion, all Hermione was able to offer as a 'congratulations, you survived your first dragon' present was a small smile when no one was looking. Somehow, that was more than enough after being able to get away with that kiss on her forehead earlier.

Draco hadn't intended to do that, it was something that had occurred naturally. Luckily, Hermione seemed indifferent about it. Draco had mixed feelings about this though. On one hand he didn't want her to find out about his feelings for her. On the other hand, he was still a man who kissed the girl he loved, what man wouldn't feel bad if she was completely indifferent about it.

Draco tried to remind himself that it wasn't important. Of course she wouldn't misinterpret an innocent kiss between friends.

"Oi, Draco."

Draco looked up to see Theo pulling back the curtain of the medic tent, "See you in the common room," and then he walked off.

Uh oh, that was his 'something-is-wrong' voice. He was probably wondering about the unusual spells in the competition.

Later, Draco managed to dodge any unwanted reporters or Slytherin supporters and made it to the dormitory he shared with Theo. As fourth years, they now shared private dormitories between two or three people. Since Draco's father donated a lot of money, he could have afforded to live in a singlet. But he didn't mind sharing with Theo, it made conversing about his 'problem' easier when there were no annoying roommates to worry about. And if Draco had a singlet, they would have to worry about the rumours that would undoubtedly spring up if Theo had to keep slipping in and out of Draco's room even if it was just to discuss potions and spells for keeping away nightmares.

He found Theo lying on his back with a floating text book suspended over his head, the pages turning lazily with wand movements. "Oh, congratulations on staying alive," he said casualty.

Draco smirked. "Oh, is that all?" Sometimes Theo's apathetic flippancy worried even Draco. Theo said everything with the same expression and often with the same tone of voice. Draco could never figure out what he was thinking and the person who could (if such a person was ever to exist) would undoubtedly be no one other than his bloody soul mate. Theo just always had the expression of someone who didn't care about anything.