Chapter 19 - Meeting the in-laws

Ever had that feeling where you're being watched? Well that is exactly how I felt and this had me waking up from my peaceful sleep only to find Angelo looking down at me. "What are doing?" I asked while blinking back the sleep from my eyes. "Oh only returning the favour" he said which caused me to blush as I remembered the time I admired him in his sleep. Groaning I pulled the duvet over my head and snuggled deeper into the bed. "What is the time" I mumbled after a minute of silence. "Ten past eight" he replied. "Gabriel should be waking up soon" I said and then as if on cue little footsteps were heard padding down the hallway.

Pushing the door open Gabriel ran into my room and jumped onto the bed. After positioning himself in between Angelo and I he looked at us before saying, "morning mummy and daddy" Smiling I showered his small face with kisses while Angelo tickled him mercilessly. Gabriel's sweet laughter was so contagious me and Angelo soon joined him.

A few hours later we were getting ready to go to Angelo's parents house for the barbecue that the were having this afternoon. The journey there were peaceful and I was not nervous until Angelo told me we were ten minutes away from our destination. It finally sunk in then that I was going to meet his family and butterflies erupted in my belly at the mere thought of this. Angelo must have sensed my anxiousness because he took my hand and brought it to his lips and placed a gentle comforting kiss on it before saying, "Everything will be fine, Mia bella. They will love you I am sure"

As we arrived in front of huge iron gates, Angelo rolled down the window and typed in a code in to the small security pad. The gates opened with a loud groan and we drove up to the large mansion that stood proudly before us. My mouth gaped open at it's extravagance. I am not a poor person and my family and I have always been comfortable but this was beyond extreme, I finally realise who I am marrying. Someone rich, educated and of a much higher class than me. I quickly say a silent prayer to whoever is listening that his family don't turn out to be the rich snobs you see on television and read in books, although by the looks of this place it may be a very high possibility.

As we got out of the car Angelo took Gabriel from the back seat while I took the wine and dessert we had bought with us. As we walked up the four giant, marble steps that led to the beautifully carved, white double doors. Angelo rung the golden doorbell and then stood back. Not even a few seconds passed after the doorbell was pressed when the door open and standing there was a beautiful plump woman.

She had dark black hair and sparkling brown eyes. Angelo who has less than a second to quickly set Gabriel down before he is attacked by the small woman. "Mio figlio, che è stato troppo a lungo." (My Son, it has been too long) she says in Italian before raining his face with kisses. Laughing he pulls away saying "Mama, please" he looks over at me and a confused Gabriel before saying, "I would like you to meet two very important people." After hearing this she moves back from Angelo and looks in me and Gabriel's direction. "Mio Dio, è questa la mia nuova nuora. Così bella."(My god, is this my new daughter in law. So beautiful) Angelo's mother says before giving me one of the warmest hugs I have ever had in my life.

When she pulls back she looks down at Gabriel who is currently hiding behind me. "E chi è questo? venire nipote. si guarda proprio come tuo padre." (And who is this? Come grandson. You look just like your father) Gabriel still seems hesitant but I quickly reassure him. "Go on sweetie it's okay, that's your other grandma, that's daddy's mummy" Gabriel shyly comes out from his hiding place behind me and walks slowly over to her. She picks him up with ease and cuddles him close then kisses him lightly on the forehead. "Ciao, sono Gabriele"(Hello, I'm Gabriel) Gabriel says proudly. I giggle lightly at the shock that appears on Angelo's mother's face after hearing Gabriel introduce himself in Italian. Although she quickly recovers and laughs warmly pride shining through her wise brown eyes. "Oh very nice,nipote."