Pandora's Box

It was raining so hard it looked like the skies were crying. Billie wanted to cry too. He had believed till the last moment. He waited. But now it was all gone. His father was dead. He was being buried right in front of him. That's the day hope finally left Pandora's Box.

That's the day he became hopeless.

"Stop biting your nails, Billie," Mike said, fiddling with his bass. "It's not like anyone's gonna kill you or anything. Why are you so anxious? STOP IT, YOU DUMBASS!"

Billie immediately stopped picking on the scabs on his arm. "I'm sorry."

Mike rolled his eyes. "What is your problem, Billie? Why do you do things I beg you not to do?"

Billie frowned. "Mike, are you okay? Why are you so angry today? I always do these things. Why are you overreacting?"

"Just don't ask me," Mike said, spreading himself on to the bed. "And just shut the fuck up. I wanna sleep today."

"Mike—"

"Shut up."

"Mike—"

"I said shut up, Billie Joe."

"Tré is coming today."

"Fuck. Tell him to not come."

"Mike, I can't."

"Holy shit," Mike got up. "Let him come. I'll tear him apart and eat him up." Mike was very irritated.

"Michael," Billie warned him.

"Okay okay, I'm just kidding. Let him come! Life's great! Rainbows! Unicorns! Cereal! I'm so happy! I'm dancing!"

"Michael," Billie sighed. "Stop this nonsense."

"You're anxious about something since the morning. Let me think— your mother is not coming to meet us this year, you don't have a girlfriend, you don't have any school, we're on a break so you're not worried about any gigs, you're not worried about the future of the world, you're—"

"MICHAEL!!!"

"What? Now you're annoyed!" Mike said. "What's up, Billie? What exactly are you anxious about? What is your problem? Is it something related to Erika?"

"No."

"Amanda?"

"No."

"Eliza?"

"No! It's not about girls!"

"Then what is it about? Did your m— Wait! Is it about... Tré?"

Billie spun around, his face flushed. "I'm... What?"

"Oh, it's about Tré," Mike said, a wide grin spreading on his face. "What does he look like? Is he hot?"

"Shut up Mike," Billie said, blushing harder. "I— just shut up."

"You have a crush on him." Mike said, pointing at Billie. "You like Tré."

"I DON'T!"

"Okay," Mike said, shrugging. "I don't care what you say. I know you like him."

"Michael I'll kill you," Billie said, clearly annoyed now. "Don't talk about this. I'm a million percent sure he's straight."

"So you do like him!" Mike said, satisfied. "See? I knew it. I knew it. I know everything about you, more than you know about yourself." The truth of the statement seemed to overwhelm Billie.

"Mike," Billie said, his voice barely audible. "I just want you to—"

"Hey! Both you nimrods!" The landlady came barging in. "Someone wants to meet you."