Night Eyes

(Killian POV)

Candance was asleep. She was a precious sleeper. I wondered how such a little girl who was such a small child could grow up to be so... womanly. I lied to her. It was never my first time meeting her. Candance and Alexandria were four when I first met them. I could remember.

It was a little bit after their birthday and Uncle Cameron wanted to show them the old country while they were young enough to forget. Jasper had just turned three and Cameron invented the two of us on a carriage ride. I wanted to go because I wanted to see Romeo. I didn't know he would have the girls. My father had barely allowed us to go.

I had gotten into the carriage and she was staring at me. She, even then, had enormous eyes. At the time, they were blue. Both of the girls had had blue eyes, then. That was the most curious thing about seeing them, again. Their eyes have changed. They both had one new colour. Candance stared at me the whole ride. No matter how much Cameron tried to direct her attention to the scenery, she just stared.

"You're five," she said, finally. Cameron, who was desperate for attention of the little girl, smiled and pulled her to his side.

"Yes, he is. This is Killian. He is almost your cousin." he said. Candance looked at him for a second then joined Alexandria in staring out of the window. We were passing the grape fields.

"Daddy! Look!" Alex shouted, pointing to some people stomping grapes into wine. Candance squealed and waved violently.

It was also interesting to see Candance in a dress. She was wearing a pale blue dress with a purple bow holding back her hair. She was wearing little black shoes. Her hair was always really curly and wavy. I remember thinking she was the shortest little thing.

I also remember the way Jasper sat really close to me, the whole ride. He had been staring at the girls in fear. Father had rarely allowed us out, especially not with girls. He had made an expectation that day because he was sure we would never see them again.

"Jasper and Killian get to see this every day, huh, Daddy?" Alex asked, sitting down close to her father. She sat down so quickly, she knocked Romeo's book out of his hands. It was the first time, the whole ride he had looked up.

"Damn, you little brat!" Romeo swore at the small girl. I remember not being surprised at his response. Romeo had a temper when he was younger.

"Romeo, please." Cameron winced. Romeo gave me a look as he rolled his eyes and returned to reading his book.

"Jasper!" Candance shouted, pointing across the carriage at Jasper. Jasper jumped, moving towards me and whimpered. "He's three!"

"Candy, you do not have yell out how old everyone else. You can count, whoo." Romeo said in a monotone. Cameron chuckled as Candance pouted and looked back at me.

"Romeo is nine and a poopy head." She said, crossing her arms. I chuckled and looked at an irritated Romeo. He was a kinda a poopy head when he was younger.

"Real mature, Candance." Romeo snapped.

"Romeo, she's four." Cameron entered. He had great gray eyes and short brown hair. I remembered how kind he was before he got sick. He didn't seem like someone who would be friends with my father, who had a heart of stone.

"Poopy-head!" Alex shouted. Candance laughed and I heard Jasper giggle a little. It was the first time he'd ever giggled in the company of someone that wasn't my mother.

The day was long and peaceful. Candance and Alexandria bantered with Romeo a lot and Cameron did his best to keep them apart. He even mentioned it was the most Candance had spoken in a long time. I also remember Candance wanting to give me and Jasper a hug before we had to go home. She was small but we accepted. I swear I saw Jasper smile and hug back. I thought it would be the first and last time I'd ever see those girls, again.