Chapter 21

Erik wrapped his arms around me tightly as suddenly the trap door underneath us opened up and we fell underneath the stage.

His eyes were wide as he pulled me close, breathing heavily I could feel his heart pounding as the sound of another gunshot rang from above as we were enveloped in darkness. The darkness was quickly dispersed by the light of a candle, revealing Erik's face.

"Come, we don't have much time before they find us." He told me urgently as he took my hand rushing me away so fast that my legs could hardly keep up.

We came to a door and beside it was a black lever.

Erik looked over at it quickly placing his hand against it.

"Wait, that goes to the chandelier, if you pull that lever it'll crash!" I exclaimed worriedly not wanting anyone to get hurt.

"Oui, I know, but we need a distraction, trust me, Celeste."

With that he pulled the lever and I could hear the echoes of screams above us.

"There they are!" I heard a police men shout as we quickly rushed through the door.

Smoke was already filling the air from the crashing of the chandelier as we sprinted through the dark, hearing the loud footsteps of our pursuers as they shouted at us to stop.

Erik pressed his hand against a wall and it quickly opened revealing a tunnel, the cold wind blew at me as he roughly pulled me inside.

The wall closed behind us just as I heard the yells of the officer's voices.

Smoke filled the tunnel from the flames of the fallen chandelier, filling my lungs, causing me to cough as we ran on.

"Erik, I sure hope you still have a plan." I told him through my coughs.

"Oui, I.. do, don't worry my Angel, we shall be fine."

His voice sounded strained and I could hear the sound of his breathing appear low and shallow, but I didn't have time to even think of that before he quickly pulled me along.

We got to a door and it immediately swung open to reveal, a very distressed, Madame Giry.

"Come in, quickly!" She shouted as she urgently motioned us inside.

"Madame Giry, what are you doing here?" I asked, confused at her presence.

"There's no time to explain, Celeste, follow me, hurry now!" She ordered as she quickly rushed away.

I could see parts of the ceiling falling with spits of flames, leaving embers in their wake as we rushed to follow.

We went through the curtains where I saw a boat in a lake Ayesha was waiting for us expectantly beside a bag.

"I tried to pack as much things as I could for you two, once you take the boat Erik will know where to go."

"Thank you... Madame, you have been so kind to me ever since I came here, I will forever be indebted to you." Erik told her as I saw his gloved hand gripping his side as if he were in pain.

I could see tears overflowing her eyes and she quickly composed herself.

"Be safe you two."

"Thank you, Madame," I said with a thankful smile.

She only nodded before hurriedly walking away, disappearing behind the curtains.

"We should go before-"

As he made a move towards the boat suddenly he collapsed, he would've fallen flat on his back if I hadn't kneeled roughly against the ground, skinning my knees in the process, in order to catch him.