Chapter Seven

Benedict's POV

"Admit it, Martin... You find them cute." He can't suppress his own smile.

"Alright, alright, alright. They were fun."

We questioned each other throughout the meal, and even those of us who knew each other well made new discoveries about one another.

"Mark, I wasn't aware that you read Sherlock Holmes as a child!" I had said, and he guffawed.

"And you haven't read it?" I shook my head.

Who has time to read, anyway?

Even Ian had gotten into the action, asking us all what our favorite foods and video games were. He sort of stumped us.

"Video games? What are these video games you speak of?" Martin joked, and we all laughed.

"I think they're quite adorable," I say, and Martin just laughs.

"Don't you dare say that you told me so, because I'm not taking that crap from you." He waggles his finger at me and we emerge from the dressing room. Veronica and Ian are sitting in the chairs they were sitting in earlier, and they are deep in a whispered conversation.

"Wonder what they're talking about," I muse, and Martin shakes his head.

"I suggest you stay out of that," he warns.

"Ben? Stay out of things? You know you must be out of your mind. He's a natural rule-breaker." Mark walks up from behind us, smirking.

"It takes one to know one, my dear Mr. Gatiss," I say, and he nods.

"If I'm not mistaken, either you are taking your role as Sherlock Holmes too seriously, sir, or you are turning into the man himself." I shrug.

"If you mean my sudden bout of wittiness, I assure you it will fade over time. I go in spurts, you see." Both men laugh.

"Ahh, well, let's bottle up this brilliance so you can reuse it for when we're filming, shall we?"

"If that's your way of saying I'm not doing a good job, I can show you a good job, sir," I say, challenging Mark. His eyebrows shoot up.

"So you're ready to film, then?" I nod. "Good. Let's get to work."

He must see me staring longingly after our two guests because he whispers in my ear, "The sooner we finish, dear Sherlock, the sooner you can go run off with your new friends."

I straighten up and follow, and Mark just shakes his head as we take our positions on set.

"I can't have you making attachments, Ben. What happens when they leave?" I realize that the thought hasn't occurred to me, and I falter for a moment.

"Why don't we keep them?" Mark laughs.

"Oh, yes, I'll just run by the store and buy a cage, and you can keep them as pets." I glare at him. He sighs. "They're good kids, I will admit. But just... Don't go getting yourself all strung up, alright?"

When I don't respond, he mistakes my silence as submission and moves on.

"Places, everyone, I want to go home sometime this week."