Chapter Fifteen

Benedict's POV

I'm jolted awake, but I'm not sure by what. I quickly scan my cubicle, and it's empty.

I stand and I peek my head outside, but all is still. I suppose people are sleeping.

Untying my shoes and gently setting them against the wall, I walk amidst the people scattered all over the floor, sleeping. Steven is propped against a desk, his mouth wide open. I smile to myself.

The room where I left Veronica and Kelly is empty.

That's a good thing, I have to remind myself, even though I'm panicking on the inside.

My feet pad across the carpet as I quickly scan again, searching for Veronica or Kelly.

I find Kelly tending to a man's ankle, and he's wincing in pain.

"Kelly!" I whisper harshly, and they both look up at me. She ignores the urgent tone of my voice, though, and she smiles playfully.

"Yes, Mr. Cumberbatch?" She bats her eyelashes, and I'm irritated by how much this affects me. I shake it off and scowl.

"Don't call me that. Where is Veronica?" Her smiles fades, and she's all business again.

I'm suddenly disappointed.

"I left her with her friend, Ian, about an hour ago," she tells me formally. I just purse my lips.

"Well. Yes. Thank you." Why is it that the only words that seem to come out of my mouth while I'm with her are "thank you"? She nods.

"Of course." Kelly goes back to tending to the man. I turn to leave, but then spin on my heel to face her again.

"Umm, wait, where would I find them?" She points toward the side of the office where the windows are.

"Ian was on watch. She'll be in that general vicinity."

"Thank you."

Again with the "thank you".

When I've rounded a corner and am no longer in Kelly's line of sight, I smack myself hard on the forehead.