Dripping Gold {2}

"Gym is the worst. I want to sue this school. Can they be held liable if I have a heart attack?" Piers asked as we changed into our gym clothes.

"Gym isn't a class. It's a place," I mocked.

"Okay, Coach Barton, calm down," Piers said.

I shut my locker and leaned against it as I waited for Piers to finish tying his shoes. "Wally is still missing," I pointed out.

"He'll probably stay missing. He hates gym too," Piers said.

"You've been tying your shoes for five minutes," I said.

"I have very complicated shoelaces."

"Piers, we're going to be late."

"If they're not tied right, I'll trip on them and get injured. Do you want me to get injured?"

"Do you want me to answer that truthfully?"

"I'm glad you broke your ass this morning, you heartless man."

He stopped pretending to tie his shoes and the two of us left the locker room. We made our way into the gym, where kids were mingling about.

"It's always so cold in here," I groaned, rubbing my arms.

"Wally skipping gym? And here I thought Piers would do that," Five said, coming up to us. "Where's Josh?"

"Dead, if I'm lucky enough," I said.

"Sounds like a healthy relationship," Five said.

"Robin?"

"Luck is not on my side, evidently," I said.

Josh walked over to us. He glanced at my friends and relaxed a little, noticing Wally's absence. Man, Josh underestimated me. If I was going to be degrading enough to have an affair with any of my friends, I'd probably be degrading enough to pick them based on looks. Wally was a human puppy, but Piers? God himself hand sculpted Piers' ass.

The bell rang, but our Coach was always late so no one in the gym bothered to stop their conversations. Josh's arrival had brought awkward silence with it, as it always seemed to. It's not that my friends couldn't tolerate Josh. It's that half the time I couldn't tolerate Josh.

"Hey, you didn't ditch!" Five said, gaze sliding past me.

I turned as Wally hurried over to us, looking a little out of breath. "I didn't want to have to do a gym make-up. I pretty much ran to get here and get changed on time."

Ah, if only I could capture Josh's scowl and turn it into a Renaissance painting.

"Your face will get stuck like that," I informed Josh.

"Stuck like what?" he said, trying to pretend he didn't hope Wally would burst into flames and die a painful death.

"Outside! Class today is outside!" Coach Barton yelled as he came into the gym, clapping his hands together to get attention. "Come on everyone, outside to the obstacle course."

"Well, there goes the rest of my dignity," I said as we followed the stream of kids out to the hallway and towards the side exit of the school.