Dripping Gold {18}

I sat down with Rhys at lunch. He'd found us a small table in the corner of the bigger section of the cafeteria. Wally would probably go sit at our usual table, but at least this way I wouldn't have to catch myself staring at him during the period.

                "So far so good?" Rhys asked.

                I shrugged. "He wasn't in class. He's probably been hiding in the art room."

                "Shit, the vending machine was out of Gatorade," Piers said, setting his lunch down and sitting next to me. "Mind sharing your drink with me, Robbie?"

                I gave him a weak smile and pushed my drink over to him. Piers had made a mistake, but he was aware and he was sorry for it. He'd just been trying to protect Five.

                He uncapped my drink and took a sip, nearly choking on it when Five sat down at the table. She was staring down at her lunch, but forced herself to meet my gaze after a moment.

                "Is it okay if I sit here?" she asked.

                "You could kick my ass twelve different ways. I'm not going to say no," I said.

                "You have kicked my ass. I'm also not going to say no," Rhys said.

                She looked at Rhys. "I don't get it. You're standing by Robin, but you didn't even stand by your own best friend."

                Rhys winced. "I made a mistake. It's a mistake I'm never going to let myself repeat."

                "I trust Rhys," I said.

                Five just nodded slowly. "And I trust you."

                "Well, it's great that you all have this web of trust going around, but what's going on with Wally?" Piers asked.

                "He was sitting alone at the table. He was probably hoping at least one of us would show up to sit with him," Five said. "He'll scurry off to the art room when no one shows. He's been hiding there all morning."

                "He needs to own up to this," Piers said, shaking his head in disgust.

                "I'm going to talk to him afterschool. It's probably best if he doesn't show his face for now," I said. I wasn't sure I was ready. If I saw him now, I might snap.

                "What about Josh?" Five said.  

                "I saw him today, but he left me alone," I said.

                "Do you think Wally had anything to do with the tension between you and Josh when you guys were dating?" Rhys asked.

                I shook my head. "No. Wally even tried to ease the tension by hanging out with me less when things started to get bad. He never mentioned me breaking up with Josh until things got really bad. Josh and I fell apart because he was jealous and I was petty."

                "Josh would complain anytime Robin hung out with another guy, but then turn around and do it himself," Five said. "He got really controlling over Robin for a while. I think that's when Wally started speaking out against your relationship."

                "Josh and I just...stopped working together. It was our own faults. He'd get super jealous and controlling, which just made me so angry I'd insult him and pick fights all the time. We're better off not dating," I said.