Chapter 3 - Is This A Dream?

I groaned as I sat up groggily, being woke up by the traitor of a doorbell. I set my feet on the cold floor and stumbled out of bed, beginning to walk out my room. I carefully hopped down step by step, not wanting to fall. I rubbed my eyes trying to get them to focus as I blindly walked to my door and twisted the doorknob. I slowly swung the door open as the cold morning air pierced my skin.

Blinking a few times, I poked my head outside and looked around to see not one being in sight.

The bell was ringing, right? With a shrug I shut the door, why would someone wake me at this unholy hour. What dumbass ding dong ditches at 5:13 in the morning.

I walked into my living room to see Aunt Kate's coat.

"Katie? Are you home?" I ran up the stairs. Shouldn't see be at work?

There was an eerie feeling in the house that sent shivers down my spine. I slowly walked to her room, grabbing the nearest object.

It was a lamp, yep the blue-skinny-lamp-of-horror. This is definitely going to help incase Alaric pops up without a shirt on.

Aunt Kate was tucked in bed, sound asleep. She probably shut off her alarm and went back to sleep. I walked to her bed and ripped her covers off.

"Kate! Get-" A high pitched scream emitted from my lips and the lamp fell out of my hands, shattering into a hundred pieces. Her body was tattered and bloody, her clothes were ripped. There were bites and cuts all over her. Was this one of those animal attacks we’ve been having?

I slowly extended my trembling to her neck to see if she had a pulse.

There was none. 

Immediately, I stepped back, pieces of the shattered lamp impaling a foot as I swiftly turned to find a phone. I immediately found one and called Matt, he would know what to do, right?

"Yello?" Matt's calm voice sounded from the other line,

"Matt! C-come o-over to my h-house!" I stuttered through my sobs.

"Rosalie? What's wrong?! I'll be over as soon as I can!" and with that, he hung up the phone.

I sat down and tended to my feet, my eyes not leaving Kate's body as I pulled each piece out of my foot.

The front door swung open and shut loudly.

"Rosalie?!" Matt yelled from somewhere downstairs.

"Kate's room!"

Feet thudded up the stairs and to the room. Matt gasped right as he entered and saw the scene. I looked to Mat to see a slight look of realization appeared on his face and pulled out his phone.

"Kate's at Rosalie's, I need you here, now!" He said to someone and slid his phone back into his pocket and looked at me. I wanted to know who he had called, but when he looked at me I crumbled. Kate is dead, my aunt is dead, my favourite person in the world is dead.

Arms wrapped round me as I tried to muffle my sobs and stop the flow of my tears. Stefan walked into my room and his eyes widened.

"Oh my god," he said astonished, a slight look of annoyance on his face.

Matt looked at me with a broken smile and picked me up bridal style.

"I'm going to get her out of here," he said to Stefan who just nodded his head.

"No! We have to get her to a hospital! Why is Stefan here?!" I struggled in Matt's arms but he continued to walk, ignoring my pleas. He set me into his truck and hopped into the driver’s seat.